Harry, I don't disagree with much of what you say about how economics is
taught and the textbooks that are used.  I recall, a very long time, reading
a paper presented to the American Economics Association by a young,
rebellious economist, I forget his name, entitled "Why Economics is
Bullshit".  It made me wary that perhaps economics was more dismal than
science.  The very earliest texts I recall using were Samuelson and Stonier
and Hague, both of which were considered pretty solid.

I don't want to get into a debate about the Classicist.  Their material was
simple, rational and elegant, very fitting for its time, and still fitting
for some purposes.  However, my wife and I have just returned from a
shopping trip to a huge superstore, one which was loaded with just about
everything conceivable under the sun, and one in which people wandered about
in a mesmerized state, putting "stuff" into little carts.  How'm I supposed
to understand that in terms of infinite wants, scarcity, and rational
choice?  I understand what you are saying about the Classicists, but I do
wonder what Smith, Ricardo, Malthus and J.S. Mill would have said if
confronted with a modern superstore or supermall.  I have a pretty good idea
of what Marx might have said, and, in fact, J.K. Galbraith and others have
been saying it for the past fifty years or so - the purpose of the consumer
in the modern industrial state is to consume, not to make rational choices.
I would suggest that, in our society, it's consumption, not so much
production, that keeps the system going.  And, indeed, the people of the
modern state try to be rational, but the influences against them being so
are many and varied and, probably, in the case of ever so many of us,
overwhelming.

On the way home, my wife and I drove past a subdivision under construction.
It was called something like "Happiness Heights", and already had a
McDonald's and Tim Horton's close by.  The houses were huge and close
together, suggesting that, because of the scarcity of land, you had use
every bit of it to the maximum.  Will those houses be happy homes?  In many
cases, perhaps.  But I would suggest, a little perversely, that a reason
they are so large is because you want to maximize the room for "stuff",
perhaps in terms of some unit like "per square inch of land".  You want to
make that land as productive or consumptive as possible. Incidentally, I can
no longer put my car into my garage because it's full of stuff we bought,
discarded and replaced.

I would not disagree that "opportunity cost" is in some ways a silly
concept.  However, a few years ago I used it in a piece of work I did for
our Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples.  The question I was asked to
address was the loss to Canadian society (i.e., the "social opportunity
cost") because Aboriginal people have much higher than average rates of
unemployment, incarceration, morbidity and mortality.  I still regard it as
one of the most interesting pieces of work I ever did, but, unfortunately,
it never saw the light of day.

I look at the works of the Classicists somewhat like the music of Mozart -
absolute and seeking the highest of perfection.  But people don't write
music like that anymore.  They haven't for a long time.  It doesn't fit the
world we live in.  Perhaps it didn't fit the world of Mozart and the
Classicists either.

Best regards, Ed

Ed Weick
577 Melbourne Ave.
Ottawa, ON, K2A 1W7
Canada
Phone (613) 728 4630
Fax     (613)  728 9382

> [...]
>
> The Classicals spend much time on why people are poor, perhaps
crystallized
> in Henry George's question (which you have heard before):
>
> "Why, in spite of the enormous increase in the power to produce, is it so
> hard to make  living?"
>
> The question is still relevant.
>
> Harry

> Ed wrote:
>
> >Brad, I know, and have worked with, a lot of Ph.D.'s  Most are very good,
> >technically, in their fields, but few of them would be able to meet the
> >criteria you have set out.  I have also known other people who are not
> >Ph.D.'s, but who would probably come close to meeting your criteria.  One
of
> >my mentors, with whom I worked in my thirties, had the equivalent of a
grade
> >school education, but had an incredible ability to see through, and
explain,
> >how people organized themselves and why they did so.  Another person, a
> >friend I run into every once in a while, is now in his late eighties.  I
> >believe he finished the equivalent of high school, but never went to
> >university.  Nevertheless, he became scientific advisor to the Canadian
> >Minister of Northern Affairs and wrote books on navigation.  He was a
> >pioneer arctic aviator.  There are others, un Ph.D'd, that would fit your
> >criteria but I won't go into that for the time being.
> >
> >My quarrel with what Keith wrote is that it seemed to deny the effort
that
> >each generation has had to put into framing its own understanding of the
> >changing world.  The Classical economists put forward their understanding
of
> >their world.  Though Marx would not have agreed, that understanding may
have
> >been appropriate for their time.  Current practitioners of the dismal
> >science have to try to understand and explain a very different world, and
> >perhaps a much more complex one.  In response to one of my previous
> >postings, Ray Evans Harrell suggested that the difference may be similar
> >that between Newtonian and quantum physics.  That may indeed be a valid
> >analogy.  One could argue that the Classicists focused on immutable
aspects
> >of human behaviour whereas modern economists have come to recognize that
> >very little in the human experience is immutable and a great deal of it
is
> >uncertain and unpredictable.
> >
> >A lot of what the Classicists thought is still relevant today, but to try
> >explain the economic behaviour of the current and emerging world in
purely
> >Classical terms would provide only a very partial explanation.  There are
> >economists around today that are every bit as valid as the Classicists,
but
> >they have to think differently from them because the world has become a

None