Hi Ray,

Until my mid-40s, when I'd 'worked' for local government, central
government and a couple of multinational corporations, I don't suppose I'd
ever done more than a couple of hours a day. It certainly wasn't expected
of me either -- so long as I appeared to be reasonably busy. Which I was
actually. Doing my own thing -- whatever it happened to be at the time. I
didn't ever do a full days' work until I started my own businesses -- and
then it was 10-12 hours a day for a year or two in each case. As I'd
already done most of the reading I was ever likely to, this new life style
was really quite refreshing.

Since we've had access to cheap energy, modern civilisation has been a bit
of a doddle for most westerners. It's all going to change within a
generation though when all the oil runs out! Calvinism will be back with a
vengeance. But if we get community back again, it won't be a bad price to pay.

Keith

 At 03:31 17/12/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Well said,
>
>I generally agree with you about the lack of wholeness in current economic
>studies.    As for whether Krugman is an economist or not I tend to look at
>that musically.    Von Dittersdorf was a composer but in the ultimate scheme
>of things he was no Mozart who set the standard along with his colleagues.
>Salieri is always mentioned if for no other reason than he was the Milton
>Friedman of composers of his day.    So I tend to leave the judgment to
>history.    As for the other things I don't make the distinctions in the
>three that you do primarily because I see the processes at work in each of
>the systems with simply a difference in emphasis, indeed I believe them to
>still be with us today.     As for the wealthy?   How many do you know?
>
>I guess it was all of that reservation Calvinism that I was around but I
>just can't stand waste.      Any family that builds seven mansions in seven
>countries, for no other reason than the party seasons, tempts me to think
>that they are useless.   In fact, the whole idea of Utility in relation to
>the super wealthy and the society as a whole makes no sense to me.    They
>don't grow and the poor don't either for opposite reasons.     What is the
>purpose of a society having either?
>
>I'm afraid the meaning of life for me is to be found in growth and mastery.
>Anyone who doesn't do something with their gifts doesn't make sense to me.
>But I came from the side of the tracks that most of these folks would never
>touch and when they had a President that was from a Trailer Park they
>couldn't stand him and spent 70 million dollars to prove him inferior in
>some way or another.
>
>Today, I see misery everywhere.   I see people's lives who are effectively
>over as far as their talent and potential goes.   And they are young.    We
>don't grow wisdom we grow opinions in the young and then they come back to
>me and the other teachers after it is too late and try to revive something
>that was lost to old myths planted not by experience but by books and by
>having been born to the wrong family.   Not poor in money but in spirit and
>knowledge.     They often speak many languages but don't understand the
>meaning of any of them beyond knowing how to ask where the next meal comes
>from and how to find the toilet.
>
>Anyway, I enjoyed your piece and you are welcome.    I was glad to find it
>myself and even happier to post it once I figured out that the server has a
>word limit on the posts.
>
>Cheers
>
>REH

Keith Hudson,6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
Tel:01225 312622/444881; Fax:01225 447727; E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]