This is interesting.    Consider the following scenario.    A person gets a
cold sore on his lip and goes to the movies.   He blows his nose and then
washes his hands in a public bathroom where he touches the faucet before and
after washing his hands.    He transfers the virus to the faucet which is
then used by a revivalist fundamentalist minister who is in the habit of
washing his hands before he urinates.    He transfers that virus to his
sexuality and breaks out in a painful rash a few days later.

Now Herpes comes in two varieties for what we are looking at.   I am told
that by far the most painful for both men and women is the type that you get
on the lip when accidentally transferred to the lower body.

I know the official  "story" is that it is "rare" but I also know people who
have it and have had to have C sections at birth because of its virulence.
I once had a student who at the least bit of stress activated the virus and
it could occur almost anywhere on the body.     I always knew because the
difficult physical stretching exercises in voice were impossible for her to
tolerate and could even cause the virus to activate.    In short, I hate to
be so graphic about this but a simple minded destructive thought deserves to
be met with medical textbook cases that are not necessarily as Harry says:
"cured by abstaining."

So back to the minister.    Herpes is incurable.   His wife doesn't have it.
It is by far the most virulent in women in fact many men don't even know
that have been exposed to it and I can remember when Doctors didn't take it
seriously.    It was a Psycho-Analyst friend who told me about how tragic it
was for one of her patients that alerted me to the issue.

I have always considered health to be one of the important issues for
performing artists simply because a common cold can destroy a performance
and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost income not only to the
Star but to all the people who depend up on that Star for a living.    A
more serious virus is obviously even more of an issue.  Herpes is severely
painful and occurs in the most nerve laden areas of the body.   It is
activated by stress.   The performing arts are one of the worst professions
for stress and an infection if severe can usually mean the end of a career
that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop.     Herpes spread
about the stage from an infected singer can wreak havoc in people's lives.
Musical Casts share their germs.  That is a fact of our work.    Now if you
think this is not a big deal for you, consider that the second highest
source of income behind the financial sector in New York City is Arts and
Culture.    Then there are the people in the orchestra in front of all of
those plosive consonants and viruses can be spread long distances by the
same mechanism that makes consonants understandable to the audience in the
singer's diction.

This virus is an interesting one because Doctors tell me that if you have it
on your hand and you scrub your hand you are likely to infect yourself
through tiny cuts that can be caused by the friction of scrubbing.    There
are special techniques as well as soaps that are used when people are known
to have it in order not to spread it to a friend, lover, or spouse.

Back to the minister's wife.    It is most likely that anyone who has it, in
a married couple, will spread it to the other, but condoms do seem to help,
according to an article in the NYTimes six months ago.    It is difficult to
deal with and it is unclear why some get terrible cases while others have a
cold sore or two in childhood and then never have it again or rarely, but
they are all carriers, "Herpes Henries" or "Marys."    Latency in a man does
not mean that the virus is not present and friction, like in the HIV virus,
is a golden opportunity for Herpes to be spread to the woman.   It can occur
not only in the sexual tract but in the bowel as well where it is severe.
Both varieties I and II can be spread to the lower part of the spine and
become an STD.    Add that to the fact that age and body chemistry makes
this more of an issue as are all immune issues.   For example the obesity of
all of those preachers can contribute to suppressed immune systems but I
won't go there.

This issue is a terrible one especially for women and babies.    Herpes
causes terrible birth defects and as a disease is much harder on women than
men according to everything I've read and been told by health care
professionals.

Now why, if Condoms don't work for stopping the spread of disease, then why
do doctors advocate their use in Herpes infections?

REH