Among the proposals given to Edge this year (in the form of a letter to
President Bush) is the following from Rodney Brooks, Director of the MIT AI
Lab:

<<<<
Science and the technology that flows from it have been great strengths of
the United States; without them the US would not be the single superpower
that it is today in the world.

For the last fifty years that science has been carried out largely in the
open and has been shared with the rest of the world. That sharing has been
a source of great strength. The US graduate education system is the
strongest in the world and many international leaders have had some of
their training in our Universities. The openness and the way in which our
universities have been run as meritocracies, not places where national
origin or religion is considered in evaluating one's work, has attracted
waves of immigration of great scientists and engineers to this country.

There is a place for classified and restricted research but it is mostly in
areas that are close to application, not in fundamental scientific and
engineering questions. The place for that research is not at our
universities. The great universities of the US should remain as open arenas
for all areas of research where they act as an engine of creativity that
feeds the scientific needs of the US and the world.

As science advisor I would urge you to continue, and strengthen, this
policy of openness. I would urge you to set aside perhaps a billion dollars
to fund new fellowships for graduate students from predominantly Islamic
countries to come and study science (broadly construed) in the United
States. I would urge you to direct the INS to treat foreign students as
welcome guests rather than suspected criminals who must be monitored
constantly by their host universities, and who are to be arrested, as has
recently happened, when the courses they end up taking at a respected first
rate university do not match some preconceived plan.

To reach out this generous hand to aspiring young students would be
courageous in the current domestic climate of fear. But the long term
payoff for the United States will be immense. It will create long term
personal links between people in the countries we currently most fear and
our own country. Based on past experience we can predict that many of those
people will rise to positions of leadership and authority within their
countries. In the shorter term it will be an act of generosity rather than
aggression, and one can hope that it will have positive effects in the way
the US is viewed. Besides that we will gain access to a large number of
very smart, very driven, young minds who will help us and the world in
making scientific progress.

Once I have convinced you to follow this advice I will get to work on some
more radical ideas which involve funding science that is deep and curiosity
driven, rather than dressed up as responding to politically justifiable
immediate needs. Such science has been the well spring of the great
advances throughout history.