Harry Pollard wrote:
Brad,

The problem was more prosaic than an "evil" woman getting her kicks. But, you do love to personalize.

There were once local abattoirs. The EEC changed that to fewer large abattoirs. The beef had to travel a distance across country, taking the Mad Cow with it. So, what might have been a local problem became a countrywide epidemic.

The animals could have been vaccinated, but the government feared it would put off foreign buyers - so they weren't. Agriculture brings in about $1 billion a year. Tourism brings in $5 billion. So, the tourists were prevented from traipsing around the English countryside - which is a joy.
Sorry, Harry, but I think you are wrong this time:

WE were talking about MAD COW DISEASE, not HOOF AND MOUTH DISEASE!

There is a vaccine for HOOF AND MOUTH disease, which renders the
animal undesirable for export because once the animal
is vaccinated, the lab tests cannot determine whether
the animal is vaccinated or actually has HOOF AND MOUTH disease.

As far as I know, there is no vaccine for MAD COW DISEASE,
of for Thatcherism, either.

"God save the Queen's hazel doormice!"

    http://www.greatnuthunt.org.uk/

God is mindlessly promiscuous, giving us both orgasms and Mad Cow Disease alike.
Society is just plain mean, asking us to "Ask not what our country can
do for us, but what we can do for our country" (see Freud's
_Civilization and its discontents_

    http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/civil.html

\brad mccormick

Come to think of it, the English don't seem to appreciate their countryside. A few years ago, I walked the 14 miles from Wareham to Swanage one lovely summer Dorset day - using footpaths across country (along with some paths I made on the spot). (No dank, dark redwoods - the forests were deciduous and alive!)

Met no-one along the way, except around Corfe Castle, where I stopped for an excellent Cottage Pie - not a good decision with 6-7 miles to go.

Similar experience walking in a large 11 mile circle around the South Downs - perhaps 15-20 miles from downtown London. Hardly a soul was encountered - except at the pub for lunch and Bass.

Brad wrote:

Ray Evans Harrell wrote:

Hi Brad,
Actually, I had forgotten about those VPs but I do remember the daughter of
that government official in the UK eating a hamburger on television to prove
that the beef was OK during the mad cow situation.

Does anybody recall Maggie Thatcher herself getting on TV and
eating a hamburger?

At least one real-life Brit
told me matter-of-factly that the reason for
Mad Cow disease was that Maggie cut the nunber of
meat inspectors.  I call it: Mad Thatcher Disease.

And, why not quote that great New Scientist cartoon again:

   Albert the laboratory rat
   -------------------------

   The British magazine New Scientist had a cartoon
   series, ca. 1980: "Albert the laboratory rat". Each week Albert had a
   different adventure in the world of science. One episode began
   with the Lab Director being "made redundant" (AKA "laid off",
   fired...) by Margaret Thatcher, as a cost saving measure.

   Next frame: Albert is appointed new Lab Director (presumably
   at lower salary than the former director).

   Next frame: Albert
   hires back the former Lab Director as the new laboratory rat.

   Final frame: Albert relaxes in his director's chair, popping
   positive reinforcement cookies with one front paw, and pressing
   the button on a box with his other paw to administer electric
   shocks to the new lab rat. Through a one-way mirror, we and
   Albert watch the former Director writhing in pain from the
   shocks Albert is administering.

Maybe Reagan really has CJD and "they" are keeping it
hushed up to avoid public hysteria and embarrassing Maggie?

    Wake up Maggie, I've something to say to you....
                           (--Rod Stewart song)

\brad mccormick

******************************
Harry Pollard
Henry George School of LA
Box 655
Tujunga  CA  91042
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: (818) 352-4141
Fax: (818) 353-2242

  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]