Lawrence DeBivort wrote:
Ed, thanks for the interesting posts. Do you have a sense of whether
sanitary conditions are changing in such slums? Can you offer a guess on
why such a catastrophic epidemic hasn't occurred as yet? How extensive are
current vaccination programs? Is it possible that the conditions you
describe produce a heartier sub-population in the slums?
[snip]

I believe that, throughout "our" history, the rich have
shown little concern for the sanitary conditions of life
of their servants.

One would think one would pay one's servants enough to live in
sanitary conditions, not for THEIR sake but for ONE's OWN sake.
That is what I believe is called "enlightened self-interest".

Perhaps the reason is that they have shown little
condition for their own sanitary conditions.

I am reminded of the Japanese who found satisfaction in
telling me that when they designed Ryoanji (ca. 1480),
Europeans still did not know about toilet paper.  Cochones! (sp?)

    http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/essays.html#genji

Imagine Louis XIV confronted with a gourmet Buddhist Japanese meal.
Would he recognize it was food?  Would he even be able to *see*
it at all (remember that seeing something is not only a matter of electromagnetic
radiation exciting retinal cells!)?

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]