Keith,

Your final sentence "This is a most fascinating change-point in history" is the most apt description.

IQ is not necessarily the best gauge of Presidential ability. Probably the worst recent President was Jimmy Carter, a thoroughly nice individual with a high IQ, but ouch!

However, Carter was almost an accident. A surprise to everyone.

The deliberate political intention to become President requires qualities that do not necessarily make one the right person for the job. American Presidents, just like the "leaders" of other lands, are not particularly successful. We can be grateful if they "make do" accomplishing a rare success without doing to much harm.

Bush actually did something with American power and Blair did the right thing by allying Britain to the US. Every prediction of absolute doom so far has been shown to be wrong - and even silly - remember 800,000 dead in Baghdad alone?

Most problems until now have been the byproducts of success. We did the job too quickly and efficiently. We weren't prepared for the suddenness of our victory.

As I said, I thought the chance of finding WMD weren't high. I also think it doesn't matter. Yet, that's where Western criticism is at the moment.

As soon as utilities are effective again, the Iraqi will be happy again, though they'll be looking for relatives in the mass graves for a time There are still 'enemy' out there who have lost their premium positions under Saddam are now angrily like everyone else. They'll be dangerous for a while.

Iran and Syria have been told in no uncertain measure "Stay!"

They have.

The Israeli/Palestinian dialogue is perhaps about to occur. I pointed out earlier that this had begun before the war ended. Whether successful or not, Bush has maneuvered the best chance of resolving the insoluble perhaps ever.

If Bush manages the impossible, what will you say then? But, of course, both of us hope he will.

Keith wrote:

Harry,