Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 6:22 PM
Subject: [Futurework] RE: But where's the mind?

chacun a son gout
-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Hudson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 12:43 PM
To: Cordell, Arthur: ECOM
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: But where's the mind?

Arthur,

At 08:26 28/05/2003 -0400, you wrote:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it." (Aristotle)
I entertain the thought that there is a mind.  Who knows maybe the mind is just the noise of the brain.  Maybe not.

Yes, I believe the mind is the "noise" of the brain, but not just noise.

As for other powers, like the big guy upstairs or quantum universe: Who knows.

For me the only intellectually comfortable position is to be an agnostic.  It is all interesting.  It all means something--even if it's man's search for meaning.  But I don't know, I don't know that I will ever know and am comfortable with uncertainty.

I wouldn't be comfortable with pure agnosticism because (for me) this would deprive life of meaning and I would feel lonely. I'm a sort of believer-agnostic. I believe that there is more significance in the universe than is implied by science alone. Without this feeling of significance, then anything goes. I think that something worthwhile believing in will shape up in due course and indeed will be necessary if society is ever to hold itself together -- and, hopefully, reformulate. We are living in a strange inter-regnum period for the moment.

Keith
Keith Hudson, 6 Upper Camden Place, Bath, England