Ed Weick wrote:
Not really sure of what you are arguing here, Harry.  On the one hand, you
seem to be arguing that work can always be found, and on the other that the
economy is so inadequate that there are large numbers of people in trouble.
I think one has to understand that the economy responds to influences that
are independent of government, but that government policy has a large
bearing on how it will respond.  It would seem that, right now, the US
economy (perhaps the global economy) has taken a rather serious downturn and
people are losing their jobs and their livelihood because of this, in many
cases having to turn to church operated charities.  What policies
governments implement can slow or accelerate this process, though not likely
reverse it.  What the Bush administration is doing would appear to be
accelerating it.  It is almost as though Bush, through his tax cuts, has
consciously decided to let the economy sink, abandoning the poor, but
rewarding the rich.  One could speculate that he foresees two US economies,
a happy one for the rich but a very difficult one for the poor.  We may be
witnessing the emergence (unmasking?) of a class system with a wealthy
nobility at the top, and a growing lumpenproletariat at the bottom.  Of
course there will always be peasants and artisan in between trying to move
up, but deathly concerned about sliding to the bottom, and willing to take
wage cuts to try to stay somewhere close to where they are.
[snip]

I think that the "people in the middle" will be the
petty bourgeoisie --> the people who brought Adlof Hitler
to power in the 1930s in Germany (Yes, I know: NIH...).

But, seriously, I think George W Bush could do Hitler
one better and get the victims of *his* economic poplicies
to suport his dictatorship, unlike Hitler who at
least made the trains run on time (Yes, I know,
that was Moussolini...).

Maybe George W Bush really is The Second Coming.  After all,
Saddam Hussein was the Anti-Christ -- speaking of whom,
where *IS* Saddam?  And where is Osama?  But Runsfeld
answered the latter question at a press conference a
few days ago:

I think he is either alive or dead.

(A or not A == true)

Right on!

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]