Hi Selma,

  Darryl was reminded of a discussion on C.B.C. radio about the historical
usage of colour definition.
It was cited that people living in the jungle areas, for example, had most
colours defined in terms of the
green spectrum. In Europe, browns and yellows were emphasized, the Indian &
Orient had yellows
and orange, whereas Egypt, which revered the scarab, had various and most
brilliant blues to define.
Royalty traditionally had exclusive use of reds and purples, both for class
distinction and accessibility.

  How grey is seen will be dependent on your personal experience with the
grey in question. If both parties
are looking at the identical colour chart, then it is likely to be perceived
similarly by most, but for the colour-
blind or one third of men who apparently have difficulty and differences in
the green/blue scales.

  Emotionally, colours are perceived differently by virtue of your
experience with them, and by virtue of
societal implications & preservation. Colour therapy, of course, has a huge
bearing on such a discussion.

  Perception is always unique, which is why the idea of an objective reality
within a chaotic physical universe
is impossible. I get the feeling, however, that the colour grey has been
raised as metaphor for a rather involved
topic. What might that be?

  Natalia