To an economist, the following is not controversial

      How can I be faulted for supplying the community with
      $50 million worth of goods and/or services?

but if it costs $20 million [MBTE for example] to clean the pollution and
your goods/services cause $10 million in additional health care costs,
the value is $20 million.  There certainly are cases where the damage to
the environment is greater than the value of the products and services
produced.

Bill