D & N,

Perhaps serious attitudes are just as misleading.

If Radin reported things were difficult but improving, the Globe would probably spike his piece.

Journalists get space by reporting death and destruction. After a war, things are in a state of flux. There are going to be all kinds of problems that should be put right as soon as possible. But, until they are, they can be lovingly pawed over by journalists and TV cameras.

Steyn writes with humor, but forgotten seems to be that he hired a car and went to see for himself. Then, he reported on what he saw. Your reaction should be - Great! You should be glad to read what he wrote.

However, if you are anti-war or anti-Bush, no improvement in condition in Iraq will satisfy you. You are likely to WANT death and despair.

This because the discussion is not about Iraq, but about Bush and war. Keith reacted to Steyn's "sick humor". But the writer was putting down what happened during his foray out of Jordan across hundreds of miles of Iraq to the outskirts of Baghdad - then north to Saddam's hometown and up to the oil fields.

He reported that things seem to be going well.

But, that could never be after Bush had bombed the hell out of Iraq - could it?

Keith asked why did I contribute Steyn's piece?

The reason should be very clear from the reaction it caused.

Darryl and Natalia wrote:

Are "comical" attitudes re: war and terror only misleading? Or, do they create real problems of uncertainty and mistrust through misrepresentation of real pain? Because we not only need to consider our "led-by-the-nose" beliefs but our ignorance of other cultures prejudices.

I include here an item from an "agricultural" E-service from the U.S.. I have shortened the article but, if you wish to view more, the letters can be found at <http://www.ea1.com/CARP/>http://www.ea1.com/CARP/ , June 6, 2003, Issue #255
Darryl

IN ALL WARS' AFTERMATH
CHILDREN ARE THE PERENNIAL
FIRST VICTIMS, IRAQ NO EXCEPTION

CHARLES A. RADIN, BOSTON GLOBE: Eleven-year-old Doaa opened her eyes to the bright sunshine of early morning and tried without success to blink away the dust covering her eyes. Her face, her clothes, the brothers and sisters who spent the night huddled close to her on the heat-seared, rock-hard banks of the Tigris River --- all are coated with the fine, brown powder.

.... "We get food from those Americans," (the brother) said, pointing to an army encampment perhaps a hundred yards away, "and we sleep here every night."

A couple of days later they were gone, leaving behind unanswerable questions not just about the impact of the war and Saddam Hussein's leadership on Iraqi children, but about whether the United States can cope with the social problems and attitudes of this very different culture. Indeed, a confrontation may be looming between U.S. forces and Shiite clerics over orphans and street children.

... These days, most orphanages are accepting only those children for whom they cared before the war but who scattered during the conflict. There is no obvious place for the newly orphaned and deserted children on the streets, who are said to number at least a few thousand.

Mohammed, a teenager who lives in one of the middle-class homes near the U. S. encampment, said Doaa and her siblings left because "some Americans came to help them, but they were afraid they would be put in jail" --- something that might well have happened to them in Hussein's time, especially if they were caught begging.

"Anyway, they're not homeless," Mohammed said, with the scorn that many Iraqis express for street children. "Their parents left them."

He dismissed with similar ease the plight of a lone boy sleeping on the brick sidewalk to get as close as possible to the Americans. "He uses drugs" --- sniffs glue --- "like many street children here," he said. "That's why he sleeps so much."

The boy, ... explained that he has been on the streets since Baghdad fell and American troops opened the gates of Dar Al Rahmah, the House of Mercy, where he was sent months before the war when he was arrested for begging.

... Contempt for the down-and-out extends from youths such as Mohammed to the staffs of Baghdad's better child care institutions.

Ibtissam Rasheed Al Habash, 54, a longtime staff member at Families of Iraq, an orphanage now receiving support from both Sheikha Fatima of the United Arab Emirates and the U.S. Army, resents Army efforts to bring the street children to her institution.

"They are not bringing orphans; they are bringing homeless kids," said Habash, although she has no way to know whether the children have in fact been orphaned. "We are suffering because of that. Homeless children have no manners.

Our children have manners, ... The street children "are different," she said. "I prefer if they don't come here."

Army Captain Stacey Simms, a reservist from Rochester, New York, who leads the U.S. effort to help the street children, said he "just can't believe the mentality" of the orphanage staffs. ... . . . . These orphanage people do not want the job to be hard."

... "I would like to provide homes" for the street children, "but that's fantasy," Simms said. For now, he is concentrating on getting them food, water, medical care and toys.

But he is trying to navigate a situation that might pose a threat to dozens of children and that might cause a breach in the uneasy cooperation between American forces and Al Hawsa, a Shiite Muslim school and social organization that has largely taken over Sadr City, Baghdad's worst slum, and restored order.

Sadr City also is the site of the House of Mercy, an orphanage from which attractive girls once were taken to Hussein's palaces, said Sheikh Bakr Al- Saidi, a 22-year-old Baghdad University law student who has been designated by the Hawsa to renovate the orphanage and protect the students. Other girls were sent out as servants. Young boys were trained in Hussein's army of Young Lions; older boys became part of his militia.

"We found cells and dungeons here," Saidi said. "They beat the kids brutally for the silliest mistakes. The guards raped the girls. I can't describe how ugly it was."