Keith,

I posted it because it was both fun and interesting.

I couldn't imagine any of those things you say. I just read about a reporter who entered Iraq in an old jalopy - went East to the outskirts of Baghdad, then north to a couple of cities much in the news.

So, he reported what he saw - which is a little different from many other reports we hear.

So, you prefer to read the opinions of someone sitting a thousand or more miles away, who no doubt gets much of his information from the newspapers.

Also, not only is he not particularly informative, he also isn't very funny.

Steyn was informative, wasn't he? And he was also funny - at times cuttingly so.

Keith wrote:

Harry,

Well, I'm not quite sure what your motive was in quoting Steyn, nor what his was in writing his silly piece, come to think of it. From what we read of his piece one would imagine that no lives were lost at all, neither coalition troops nor Iraqi civilians (most of which died from cluster bombs which both the Americans and the British said beforehand that they would never use).

But anyway, let me quote someone else of far more stature. He is Max Hastings who used to edit the Daily Telegraph for 10-15 years or so and pulled it from old-fashioned right-wingism to somewhere near modern reality. Max Hastings is without doubt one of the respected voices in England today. He's not establishment but the establishment (of the left or the right) take a great deal of notice what he says. What he write below is another nail in Blair's coffin. (Incidentally, one MP today likened the political controversy in England now as similar to Watergate. It just won't go away and it's gradually gaining momentum.)

Here are his opening paragraphs from a piece in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

<<<<
I WAS SILLY TO TRUST AMERICA

Even by the standards of the Bush Administration, last week was a remarkable one for diplomatic folly. Paul Wolfovitz, the Assistant Defence Secretary, disclosed that the US wilfully exaggerated the threat of weapons of mass destruction, to rally support for an Iraq war. Likewise, Wolfowitz's boss, Donald Rumsfeld, declared that he has little expectation of finding any WMDs. He then launched a new round of sabre-rattling against Iran. So much for the gleeful banner under which President Bush greeted a home-bound American aircraft-carrier crew: "Mission accomplished".

The leading lights of the US Defence Department always made it plain that disarming Saddam was a pretext for regime change in Iraq. Yet that pretext was the basis of a massive American diplomatic offensive. Tony Blair explicitly told the British people that disarming Saddam justified taking Britain to war. That argument was fraudulent.

Some of us, who accepted public and private Whitehall assurances about WMDs, today feel rather silly; Robin Cook [ex British Foreign Secxretary] is crowing, and well he may. He said that WMDs did not exist. He appears to have been right. It is irrelevant that the Allies won the war. The Prime Minister committed British troops and sacrificed British lives on the basis of a deceit, and it stinks.

Meanwhile inside Iraq, it has become irrelevant to criticise the Americans for past failure to anticipate the problems of making the country work. The question is whether they intend to commit resources commensurate with the task, now that the requirement is plain. . . . .