Well, Ed, I think we will continue to disagree on this one. The killing in
Najaf was CAUSED by our presence there. Our presence in Iraq is polarizing
the Iraqis (though few to "our" side. The target of the Najaf attack was the
senior cleric who joined the US-created Iraq council.

You use metaphors, like 'see it through' that sound positive but gloss over
the real dynamics. In Vietnam, it was 'a light at the end of the tunnel',
and many other such false but comforting pieties.

Have you given real thought to just what it means to 'see it through', and
whether it is at all possible, and how much it will cost us in terms of
money, lives (US and Iraqi), international credibility, domestic politics,
etc?   How many US and Vietnamese lives were lost in Vietnam, and how many
maimed? Do you know what the impact of Vietnam was on the US economy and
domestic programs? Is this kind of toll acceptable to you?

We are talking about serious questions here, and I appreciate your inputs,
Ed.

Cheers,
Lawry