Brad:

> I have long wondered how the symbolic "world" of
> 1940s American popular culture was metabolized by
> 1940s American people.

> "What must have been going on in the minds of
> the persons who enjoyed this kind of stuff?"  Where
> I am coming from is my puzzlement that adults could
> relate to such stuff as meaningful.  Were they
> as "ditz-headed" as this imagery?  What effects did
> this imagery have on their self-understanding in
> their own middle to lower middle class and working
> class lives?
>
> Does my puzzlement make sense?  What are the conditions for
> the possibility of adults seeking out this kind of
> symbolic material to bring into their inner life?

In the late 1940s, my family lived in a pulp and paper town on the British
Columbia coast some three hundred miles north of Vancouver.  It was a 100%
working class place.  I was a teenage high school dropout working in the
local sawmill full time.  My dad was a millwright in the paper mill.  About
the only entertainment people had was getting drunk, playing cards, or going
to the "picture show".  At the picture show we saw quite a lot of Fred,
Ginger and Bing.  We never took it seriously.  It was entertainment.  Next
morning we plodded across the bridge to the mill, punched in, and went on
with our daily grind.

Ed