Brad,
There are web sites that talk about Bush's IQ and grades.   He seems clever
to me and he also is a member by birth of the political club.   I am a great
believer in family capital i..e that the family that has a long history in a
business gives their offspring an inate advantage simply by growing up
there.    I've seen it happen constantly with the people that I teach.
Often people with the higher IQs and better intellectual educations have the
ability to think through and act on something but it takes a long time, many
years, to become inate.   I witnessed this again just last week when we
auditioned many cum laudes and graduates from the finest schools.   Those
who didn't have it in their background but were extremely smart were able to
make it in good condition through the initial audition but in the
flexibility of the "call back", their intellectual knowledge, in spite of
their potential,  was simply too shallow to deal with performance.    On the
other hand we had a young artist who had grown up in the business and walked
away to go into academics and graduated in the highest levels from the best
rated school in America (but not in music) and she was rusty.    Her culture
got her through the first audition magnificently, but her skill was out of
shape and she couldn't compete inspite of her genius level academics.

I believe the issue is performance.    Performance is different from
academia or intelligence.   It is a complex mix of genetics, family
intellectual property, training and opportunity for practice.    In George
Bush's case, he could have been a great President but he was chemically
damaged by his psychological method of declaring his independance from his
father.  Alcohol, drugs, debauchery etc.    Clinton is not from such a deep
background but he was taken under the wings of the best politicians almost
from a teenager and his natural IQ is high.   He had a lot of practice both
at success and failure and so his sense of the process is intellectually
deep while Bush's is culturally so.    Illicit sex may damage your moral
intelligence and growing up in the almost amoral atmosphere of Washington
may make you more sociopathic plus being grounded academically in the
sociopathic climate of the law is bound to create an interesting character.
Put that together with being a Southern Baptist from birth, not Anglican
like GWB, and marrying a very interesting, dynamic and driven young feminist
and you have a recipe that is not hard to understand for the Clinton
presidency.    GWB on the other hand seems simply lazy, unpracticed,
patrician and damaged.   But that is all individual.

The more interesting question I find is the "ideals" of the Republicans and
the Democrats.   Both seem severely re-active rather than pro-active.    If
I consider the type of future they imagine by the people they align
themselves with, both are frightening.    But the Democrats less so because
they believe in equality and efficiency.   The childlike faith in mechanisms
that the Republicans have or profess is either idiocy or duplicity (note the
Wall Street Journal's recent conversion to re-regulation for the power
companies in face of the failure of the "invisible economic hand").   The
"invisible hand" is the most ridiculous notion that I've seen to date.   We
have many such myths in voice teaching and the only thing that saves them is
the tremendous talent pool where almost any failure can be forgotten because
it is so replaceable.   What works is always a combination of human
endeavors and not silly notions of automatic nature.   Intelligence,
birthright, practice, hard work, logical thought and a genuinely impirical
process in confronting the wonderful world that we have been given to
explore during our time here on earth.   Nature isn't automatic but dynamic
and Laisse Faire whether in economics, education or the environment is an
excuse for intellectual laziness and irresponsibility.    You have to plan,
think about the future of your grandchildren and the sustainability of the
present.   I see little of such thought or action in the present in any
quarter.    That's my experience and opinion.

Ray Evans Harrell