Ed,

Thanks for this. I've read three different summaries of this same OECD report this morning!

I've just come back from a dogwalk and still dwelling on what I wrote after sending you my previous posting. What was occurring to me is that the reason for a number of the arguments we have is that our societies are much more different than we might imagine -- or at least I might imagine anyway. Time and again, I describe things going on here and I get the impression from some of your slightly nonchalant responses sometimes that you might be thinking that I am exaggerating. I also get the impression that you live in a much more laid back -- indeed much happier and less stressed -- society than here. Hitherto, I've regarded the difference as a personality one. However, during the dogwalk -- and I hope you don't think I'm being patronising here -- I think our society is more complex than yours because we have so many layers of history. Please don't think I'm trying to show off -- but consider. We were building quite complex stone buildings at the tip of Scotland and in the south of England before the pyramids were built. By 1,000BC we had probably the most complex bronze technology in the world (apart from China's), using tin from Cornwall and copper from north Wales, with, correspondingly, a very advanced mining technology (scores of tin mines stretching for miles under the sea bed in Cornwall and over 50 miles of recently discovered tunnels in north Wales from that date -- made with bone and stone tools), and with significant manufacturing areas somewhere in between (not yet discovered) to actually make the bronzes (of different blends for different purposes) and then trading the products over thousands of miles from the Baltic through to the Mediterranean. Then we've been invaded by the Romans, and the Saxons, and the Vikings and Danes, and the Normans with their advanced feudal system followed by the landowning classes. We were at the back-end of the Mediterranean Renaissance but one of the first into long-distance trading with Asia and big trading companies, the first into the Western Scientific Enlightenment and then the Industrial Revolution, and the first into the computer revolution. We are the third/fourth largest exporting country in the world -- not of products (we're mined out of almost everything we ever had by way of resources), but of a variety of services. In short, we probably have the most mature job and social structure of anywhere in the world. We live by our wits. We may not have the sheer mass, momentum or technological products that the Americans have got but I think we lead the world in the acquisition of problems, strains and stresses from all this historical/technological development. We're a well-rotted compost heap, showing extremes of anything that can be discussed in terms of job structure and society. In addition, we're also geographically small enough to have started the most comprehensive welfare, educational, social services,  health and transport services in the world and now we're the furthest advanced in showing that they're breaking down -- that the welfare society is absolutely cram full of problems and we're showing them all in abundance, so much so that even a Labour government is trying to privatise as much as it can get away with (albeit in more cunning ways that Thatcher did). The only other country which has had such a complex history as ours, running through the whole gamut of every type of economic and technological development is China. I cannot think of any other with such a varied experience and with so many historical residues which are still fermenting away.

I'm very probably over-egging the pudding (once again without wishing to be patronising in any way at all) but, in comparison, Canada's (and America's) social, economic, historical, cultural problems are somewhat simpler than ours. I'm not suggesting in any way that you are personally naive, but I think that your problems can be stated (and solved) in much more simplistic terms than could be done here. However, I believe that many of the trends and problems here in England that I am writing about will come to you, too, in due course -- because we are much further on in what I believe to be the decline of the industrial revolution.

Keith