Karen,

Thanks for your comment on the Schwarzenegger matter. Most interesting. It sounds a very complicated situation and it confirms my feeling that he's going to be a great disappointment. Also, Californians seems to have a penchant for referenda on almost anything. I'm not suggesting they shouldn't do this, but the overlaps between this and the political/governance structure does seem to make for increasing problems in the future. My feeling is that California has had its days of glory.

However, let me change the subject. I'd be most interested in your comments on the William Kristol quote in my other (post-dogwalk) posting. I find this quite amazing. Is it as serious as it seems to be? Such devastating criticism of his ideological confreres would never happen in England. We have a comparable situation here with an intellectually brilliant editor of the weekly magazine, The Spectator. He is Boris Johnson, also a Conservative MP, and he quite often writes the most glorious stuff (as literature) but he wouldn't dream of writing a word of criticsm of his party leader, Ian Duncan-Smith -- who is quite as dim* and useless as Bush is. The Conservative Party (that is, many of its senior, heavyweight MPs and ex-ministers) are desperate to get rid of IDS because there is little doubt that he won't win the next General Election -- which otherwise the Conservatives ought to be able to do with ease, such is the unpopularity of Blair. (I think it is probable that he will be got rid of fairly soon but, if so, it will be done in a secretive way.)

*He was a Captain in the Regular Army and was early-retired -- as they do with obvious incompetents.

Anyway, back to the Bush affair. I find this quite fascinating -- even more interesting than the Blair situation over here -- and I'd be most interested in your take on the latest developments. (Among other things, I'd like your opinion on Condi. Is she as brilliant as they make out? Why did she not stick her oar in at a much earlier stage in this tragic farce? This is what I don't understand. Or is she just a token -- like Powell? Also, I'd have thought, this is also going to give a lot more freedom of action to Sharon.)

I have a feeling that you might already be writing on this anyway -- so this might cross with yours.

Keith