Arthur wrote: It may also be the case that the recall and the excitement (and success of the effort) will spur the direct democracy movement leading to online referenda on a variety of issues.  May be the only way to keep citizens involved and engaged in politics.

As a matter of fact, the lead above-the-fold headline in The Oregonian today is “Oregon has natural defenses against recall fever”.  Probably a common feature across the country this week.

Though it may not have any constitutional legs, don’t be surprised to see much more web and old-fashioned politicking with a Recall Bush target.  Yesterday I referred to letters demanding Rumsfeld’s resignation.  There have been several internet letter and phone campaigns targeting him that I know of, organized by the very successful Moveon.org and others.  Their rhetoric is mild compared to some.   They are using grassroots techniques with internet technology, so that people recognize the medium and the opportunity.  A great blend.

Web-based politics is succeeding because it reaches people inside their homes and gives them/us a chance to express our opinion, join a group, become part of a movement, conveniently.  Conservatives have been doing this for years (think  Ralph Reed and the Christian Coalition and Grover Norquist and his anti-tax propaganda) and progressives/moderates are just now getting into the game.

My concern about direct referenda such as the California experience is that it moves too fast, it increases the risk of over-correction, deceit and mass manipulation.  But our status quo process is too slow, cumbersome and costly, both in fiscal and human capital.  Somewhere along the way we hopefully will find a middle way.

Karen