Bill,

This is "initially".

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 7:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Bush's preliminary step to withdrawal?

Keith,

On this, I think that Bush is in for the long haul. He is making
very unpopular moves in the US by calling up more military
reserves. It appears that he intends to reduce the size of the
troops and bring Iraqis on board in large numbers. This is what
he should have done initially.

Bill

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:14:26 +0000 Keith Hudson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> One can't help feeling intensely suspicious of the apparent
change of
> heart of Bush when he announces that he wants to bring
democracy to
> the Middle East and that this was what his invasion of Iraq was
all
> about.
> This,
> despite the US being close allies of dictatorships in Saudi
Arabia for
> 50 years and even with Saddam Hussein himself for 15 when
encouraging
> him to wage years of warfare on Iran. No longer, it would seem,
did
> Bush invade Iraq because of international terrorism, nor
because of
> Weapons of Mass destruction. (The Special Task Force of 2,000
American
> troops which have apparently been searching for WMDs for months
have
> not turned up anything yet. WMDs were never there in the first
place,
> as the UN Inspectors
>
> believed, and as further recent evidence suggests -- see the
article
> below.)
>
> The US death toll reported in today's Independent article below
> (142) has
> already been augmented this morning by another four soldiers
killed in
> a downed helicopter and possibly two more in other incidents on
the
> roads.
> For electoral reasons a year from now, Bush may now already be
> deciding to leave well before next summer. One or two
particularly
> dramatic terrorist attacks could cause the American electorate
> swing ferociously against Bush at almost any time from now
onwards.

> Of course, some believe, including the present writer, that
Bush
> invaded Iraq in order to ensure that US and UK oil corporations
would
> be able to develop the immense northern oilfields from which
Saddam
> had mischievously excluded them. But, in the biggest mistake
that Bush
> (or, probably,
> Cheney)
> made, these corporations refuse to be involved until there's a
> legitimate Iraqi government in place and not the
American-imposed
> Coalition Provisional Authority.
>
> Two or three more speeches along the lines that Bush has just
made
> would allow him to segue right out of Iraq -- throwing it a
> constitution and holding an election along the way which will
ensure a
> Shia majority.
> If he
> makes sure that the Shias have sufficient well-armed forces at
their

> disposal, this ought to ensure that the previous oppressors,
the
> Sunnis, will be subjugated (or chased into Syria) and, if and
when
> Saddam emerges from hiding, he will be quickly caught and
executed.

> This scenario may seem unlikely -- even absurd at the moment --
but I
> don't see any other way out of Bush's predicament and possible
> humiliating defeat next November. He's not gained what went to
Iraq
> for -- WMDs or oil
> -- so
> he might as well leave now as craftily as he can. He's been
able to
> con most of the American electorate so far, so he ought to be
able to
> swing this new strategy across them as a piece of international

> statesmanship in the name of bringing democracy to one more
country.

> Just one postscript for non-UK readers: there are likely to be
large

> demonstrations against Bush when he arrives. The usual state
> procession down the Mall has already been cancelled and it's
> exceedingly unlikely that Bush will be able to show his face in
public
> in the usual way.
>
> Keith Hudson
>
> <<<<
> BUSH CALLS IRAQ MISSION 'WATERSHED FOR GLOBAL DEMOCRACY'
>
> Rupert Cornwell
>
> Washington -- Less than two weeks before what may be a stormy
state
> visit to London, President George Bush yesterday cast himself
as a new
> Ronald Reagan, vowing to bring freedom and democracy to the
Middle
> East and beyond
> -- just as Mr Reagan did with the Soviet Union, in his "evil
empire"

> address to the British Parliament 21 years ago.
>
> Speaking on the day he signed into law the Bill authorising $87

> billion of extra funding for Iraq and Afghanistan, Mr Bush set
out his
> vision of a modernised and democratic Iraq serving as example
> throughout the region.
>
> Separately, administration officials confirmed that they had
received
> a behind-the-scenes proposal, supposedly from Saddam Hussein,
offering
> a deal last March to stave off the looming war. But the contact
was
> rebuffed by the CIA.
>
> Though experts said the move may have been of little
significance,
> critics presented the episode as further proof that Mr Bush
would let
> nothing interfere with his determination to go to war.
>
> In his speech yesterday Mr Bush once again made no reference to

> mounting US casualties in Iraq, including two more fatal
attacks
> yesterday, bringing to
> 142 the death toll since he declared the end of major combat
> operations.
> Nor did he refer to the strains on the military, and
yesterday's
> Pentagon announcement that 132,000 troops and reservists will
be sent
> to relieve units who have been in the region for a year.
Instead he
> stressed that failure in Iraq would embolden terrorists around
the
> world, but "the
>
> establishment of a free Iraq will be a watershed event in the
global

> democratic revolution."
>
> That, clearly, is the message he will deliver during his
address to an
> audience of dignitaries in London on 19 November, the
centrepiece of
> his state visit. And his references to the dismissive reaction
to Mr
> Reagan's speech in Westminster Hall left no doubt that he is
expecting
> more of the same for himself. "It seems hard to be a
sophisticated
> European and also an admirer of Ronald Reagan," Mr Bush
yesterday
> quoted from a newspaper
>
> editorial of the time, recalling how some observers had
pronounced the
> "evil empire" speech to be "simplistic and naive, and even
dangerous".
> In fact the current unpopularity of Mr Bush and his
administration --
> widely perceived in Europe as high-handed, arrogant and
ignorant --
> eclipses that of Mr Reagan in 1982, at the height of the Cold
War. But
> Mr Bush stressed he would not be deterred.
>
> Sixty years of Western nations excusing and accommodating the
lack of
> freedom in the Middle East had done nothing to make the world
safer,
> the President told the National Endowment for Democracy here.
"It
> would be reckless to accept the status quo," he declared,
defending
> his doctrine of preemptive action as "a forward strategy of
freedom".
> He attacked the "outposts of oppression" in Cuba, Zimbabwe,
North
> Korea and Burma, but praised Morocco and other Arab states such
as
> Yemen, Bahrain and Jordan, who are gingerly taking steps
towards