Bill,

Those folks would be wrong.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. As I said, Iran had made
Carter and the US look foolish. Saddam was a war with Iran, so
Saddam was  all right with us.

When those 2400 tanks invaded Iran supported by 400 planes, every
one of the tanks and every one of the planes was Russian. As I
mentioned, if you wanted to find American weaponry, you would
find it in Iran.

The trouble is that while statements are made about the US and
about Bush (and both deserve some statements) they are often not
provable, but by continual use becomes fact. As I said, I would
like to know why we were owed $4 billion. It could've been for
food, industrial supplies, for the oil wells -- anything. However
the 2400 tanks and the 400 planes were Russian.

Again, as I said, Russia also built-up Saddam's forces at the end
of the eight years for the final push into an exhausted Iran.

It's all recorded. You can find the facts easily enough -- but
once propaganda is forced into our minds it may be difficult to
get rid of it.

At this point, I looked up your reference URL, but found nothing
there that was particularly incriminating. The CDC sent germs and
suchlike to Sadamm as they do to a hundred countries. We arranged
for a lot of food to be sent to Saddam. We arranged for some
howitzers and computers to get to him from Chile and South
Africa. In return, with the aid of his 2400 tanks, 400 aircraft
and his HP computers, he invaded Iran.

We thought that was great. And we didn't even have to give him a
couple of hundred Shermans.