Bill,

I believe we were busy killing the military, not hiring them.

I think we could sit down together and with perfect 20-20
hindsight explain what should have been done.

It began with the speedy takeover of Iraqi space. I doubt the
brass realized how quickly we would arrive in Baghdad and Basra.
I'm sure we expected greater resistance. When we didn't get it,
the tanks thundered forward and we were in Baghdad, looking at
each other, wondering what to do.

As for the police, they were Saddam's police. Could they be
trusted?

As it is, most of Iraq seems to be working reasonably well.
Business is thriving, children are going to school, people have
plenty of food. There are poor people in Iraq - as there were
before we arrived. As there are in most countries.

A few hundred terrorists are putting fear into the hearts of
Iraqis as they kill Americans and Iraqis somewhat
indiscriminately. If the Americans left (perish the thought) the
thugs would probably use the same tactics on the Iraqi citizens.

And so it goes.