From: Harry Pollard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 7, 2003 5:33 PM
To: 'Ray Evans Harrell'; Cordell, Arthur: ECOM; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Futurework] E.European Women discover the Joys of Free
Trade

 Ray,

People who have friends within the bureaucracy are worth more
than those who don't.

In California, pensions after retirement, or early retirement,
are very high (I believe 90-95% of salary). With the combination
of a high pension and a close connection with people engaged in
ladling out money -- I think bureaucrats could do well.

I do like Bush's rather pointed remark that the people of America
should have the same kind of health service enjoyed by those in
Congress. Yes, I like that.

Whether you like it or not, elected politicians and their
bureaucratic friends are favored classes in the US -- as indeed
they are in every country. As was said about the missionaries,
they became 'servants of the people' to do good, and they've done
very well.

I don't understand how: "jobs that are necessary but unable to
generate income" can occur. Surely, if they are necessary they
will generate income. It doesn't it make sense?

Why do you see the private sector is terrible at healthcare? I've
already described the Kaiser-Permanente system, which I would say
was the equal of any other in the world - private or government.

I read with amusement of the parliamentary debate in the UK where
the minister pointed out that they had practically reached their
target of a 17 month wait to get into hospital. We also have the
description by Keith of his fear of entering a British hospital
because of infection.

National Health hospitals vary a lot, from very good to awful -
which is probably true of many systems. After care and senior
care is very good - or is within my limited experience (outside
of London). But, the reaction to my sister-in-law's surgery in
Germany after a fall was "Thank God it was done in Germany."
Probably unfair to Brit surgeons (those that haven't emigrated to
the US).

I'm sure that the government run hospitals here are under-funded
and overworked. But, it seems that many of the private hospitals
are in pretty good shape and provide excellent service.

Before government education, schooling seemed not at all bad. A
lot of people across the US and around the world -- ordinary
people -- were able to read Progress & Poverty and find
themselves roused to take action.

Present school funding in the US is around $7,000 per student.

If six teachers -- each specializing -- were to set up six
classrooms each with 35 students, they would have close to $1.5
million with which to teach the children. If they gave themselves
$100,000 a year in salary they would still have close to $900,000
to pay the rent and supply the textbooks and other materials
(much of which would have a life of several years).

They might not have a cafeteria, but they would probably contract
with outside providers to supply low-cost school lunches.

Heck, with that amount of money they could probably take the kids
on a field trip to Paris. Or, they could add to their salaries,
or perhaps save enough money to erect their own school. I suppose
they would become something like existing Charter Schools, most
of which seem to do very well (though a few fail). Ordinary
public schools cannot fail, no matter how bad they are.

Think about that.

Religion is at the moment in the private sector. I must say I
have visited Gwen's Methodist Church on a number of occasions and
haven't found much sign of fascism, just lots of very nice
people.

As for the cheap thrills and shallowness in the entertainment
area, they are part of the marketplace and apparently people in
the market want cheap thrills and shallowness. If you were a
fascist you would force them to listen and view things which are
good for them. If you think they are ill educated in the finer
things of life, perhaps you should blame government education.
But, you wouldn't do that.

You said: "So you have not explained an overall system where all
of the human needs both physical, emotional, cultural and
spiritual are met in your society."

In my "system" there would only be voluntary poverty. Wages at
every level would allow people to enjoy life in any way they
chose. There would be no government services to explain what is
good what is bad. People would have to find these things out
themselves. Oprah is always available.

Most importantly, privileges would have been ended (you'll recall
these are government laws which benefit one of the expense of
another). Instead of the massive mountain of privilege draining
wealth from the people, which is our present experience, there
would be justice -- a name for equal treatment under the law.

The revenue for basic government services (police, fire,
infrastructure) would be provided by a collection of economic
rent. Rent measures the advantages given to locations by the
surrounding community. Collecting it and using it for basic
services is simply giving it back to the community that created
it.

So it's not really a tax -- more properly the charge. The person
who occupies a location gets the advantage, which is paid back to
the community -- a zero-sum.

Whether or not this free people would listen to choral music, or
to the frustration of the Yankees losing the series, is their
choice. If you do your teaching job right, you'll create your
support. Trouble is it might be from the great unwashed rather
than the elite. If you can stand that, you'll have a pretty good
time.

From: Ray Evans Harrell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Futurework] E.European Women discover the Joys of
Free Trade

Harry,

Its been my experience that Bureaucrats do better than normal in
the private
sector.   You have not explained to me how jobs that are
necessary but
unable to generate income due to free riding by the consumer can
sustain
themselves.   On the other hand the private sector is good at
exploitation
period.  They are terrible at healthcare, education, religion
would be fascism under the private sector and arts and
entertainment are cheap
thrills and shallowness.   So you have not explained an overall
system where
all of the human needs both physical, emotional, cultural and
spiritual are
met in your society.    But to constantly knock people working
for the
government ignores the fact that most jobs are useless and have
little meaning other than to move money around and keep people
off of the streets.
In the case of this government you can add "helping your friends
and economic class" to the purpose of government money.

Ray Evans Harrell