Arthur,

There is no defined concept of public goods. Public goods expand
in every direction swallowing all kinds of things that are
properly in the private sector. So, there is no defined concept
of public goods.

Here is an economic definition.

When the market cannot work properly because competition isn't
possible, or isn't practical, then the operation must be carried
out by the community. Roads and sewers are examples, as are local
utilities and water distribution.

Such monopolies can be owned by the community, but run by
performance bonded companies chosen by lowest bid.

That was easy wasn't it?

In my four decades in the US, I have never owned a gun, so I'm
not a choice candidate for membership of the NRA.

I am afraid  you are thinking in stereotypes again. If I believe
in a particular idea, I am immediately heir to the whole bundle
that cleave to your stereotype. I think this may be a problem
with the rather disloyal opposition.

But, there you are.

Harry

PS. The firemen brought 4 engines into the canyon, but the fire
got so hot they abandoned them and ran for it. We had hoses and a
little stupidity and they worked. After us, the fire reached
Glendale and a whole Crescent of houses were burned - except one.
The owner refused to leave as ordered and stayed on the roof with
his hose.

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
Tel: 818 352-4141  --  Fax: 818 353-2242
http://haledward.home.comcast.net