Harry Pollard wrote:
Arthur,
I don't think we have a point A and point B in Los Angeles.
I think I remember riding a bus once several decades ago, but I can't be sure.
By the time I walked to the bus stop and waited for the next bus, I could drive into downtown LA. That is if I wanted to go there.
By far, the best transportation system for LA is the automobile. Why this is so requires some thought, but thinking seems to be in short supply these days.
[snip]

I seem to recall having read somewhere that in the 1930s
General Motors bought the LA public transit system for
the sole purpose of destroying it so that the
automobile would be the way to go. (I read that
before I realized the importance of the audit trail,
so I don't have the source.)

Might I also ask whether the Moscow subway system
was built under the saintly Czars or under The Evil Empire????
1995 was already the period of free-fall capitalism
in the breakdown-products of the former USSR, I believe.

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]