> Might I also ask whether the Moscow subway system
> was built under the saintly Czars or under The Evil Empire????
> 1995 was already the period of free-fall capitalism
> in the breakdown-products of the former USSR, I believe.
>
> \brad mccormick

I believe it was built under Stalin in the 1930s.  The layout, in terms of getting people from A to B, is highly rational.  The stations are grandiose, as befits the Stalinist era.  The condition it was in when I rode it in the mid-90s was extremely dubious.  I recall hoping many times that the wheel making that godawful noise would not fall off.

Ed