Harry Pollard wrote:
> When I read it, I agreed with Chris' remarks. Except of course
> his aside on protectionism.

The problem is that the system I described wouldn't work under
"Free" Market conditions.

> Our only hope in the US in many places is to make education
> voluntary. Teachers should teach only those who want to learn -
> or whose parents want them to learn.

What about the others?  This "screw the rest" attitude is so typical
of the FT ideology.  It only makes things worse.

Btw, learning disabilities are increasing.  I.e there are children
who may want to learn (and whose parents want them to learn) but
who are unable to learn (effectively).  This is mainly due to
effects of corporate policies (junk-food malnutrition, dental mercury,
drugs, cell-phone radiation etc.), so blaming "state schools" in general
and praising privatization/corporatization is really making the fox guard
the henhouse.

Chris