Arthur Cordell asked:
> Taking the neutrality stance I think makes Switzerland a very special place
> and must cause the Swiss to think of themselves as somewhat special thereby
> giving them a degree of social cohesion.
>
> Or does the causation circle go the other way around, with social cohesion
> coming first and thus the degree of self to lead to the position of
> neutrality?

Historically, for this country of four cultures  situated between warring
neighbors, neutrality was simply necessary to avoid falling apart as a
country.  Taking sides with one neighbor against the others would have
turned off the other cultures in CH.  (This in contrast to the cliché
that neutrality was simply a means of war-profiteering -- probably true
for mono-cultural countries like Sweden.)  Being surrounded by kingdoms
and regimes was an incentive for all Swiss to stick together against
invaders/imperialists, in order to preserve freedom and democracy.
(This still holds today as an incentive not to join the EU ;-} )

Anyway, I think you over-estimate the importance of social cohesion as a
necessary precondition for a social security grid.  When I wrote that the
family or else the local community pays for the rent&food of the citizens
who can't pay it on their own, I was referring to a legal requirement, not
voluntary generosity.  This could be introduced in countries with less
social cohesion too.

> You suggest that the educational/poverty  problems (which I agree are
> structual) of eg., Canada, do not exist in Switzerland.  Is this so?

I observed that the problem of foodbanks, as described on this list to
exist in Canada, does not exist in Switzerland, because poverty is
being addressed differently.

Chris