Ray:
History is a reconstruction, a novel. Always ideologized. I won't argue
because, unfortunately, I have no time and because I don´t need to convince
anyone about my points of view in this particular matter. Besides, I won't
convince you, who are part of the Indian people because in the contruction
of your identity -as a group- you have to justify the defeats, as well as
any other human group does. "They crushed us, but they are stupids", "We
were almost perfect people until the stranger came and spoiled us". Even the
recounts are questionable, as you said regarding the amount of people
sacrificed by the aztec priests.
Of course the conquest was brutal, as any war is (what about your boys in
Afganisthan and Iraq?, What about Vietnam?), but the defeat of the aztecs
was not due to the superiority of the spaniards but to the help of
tlaxcaltecas and other indian groups, tired of the oppresion and barbarity
of the aztecs. Besides, spaniards coming with Hernan Cortes were soldiers,
not intellectuals; they surely could not read (but some could write very
good, as Bernal Diaz del Castillo, the "historian" of the spaniard side of
the conflict), but I haven't heard about the libraries you talk about. Now
is very well documented, by mexican historians, the poorness of the aztec
culture.
Part of the conquest was the presence of franciscans, jesuits and other
missioners, don't forget them.
I do not idealize aztecs or any other indian group. That´s part of the
dominant ideology, to have a glorious past in lack of a decent present. The
fact is that right today some mexican indigenous groups, that fight for the
preservation of their own rules and regulations, do things like like selling
daughters. If it was such a developed and refined culture, why they didn't
keep the best of their manners and customs and took the best of what
Occident had to offer?
I am not against aztecs or any other ethnic group. But I don't swallow the
official history nor I think that the aztecs (in case you can find one,
what´s is not easy, because we all are mexicans) deserve any special
treatment, different from any other person. I also do not accept as a
justification for any failure today what happened 400 years ago (but I
recognize the profitability of crying, the negotiation potencial of playing
with guilt). Too much time, don't you think so? I don´t think that any of my
limitations is justificable in terms of the roman invasión or the musslim
presence in Spain. On the contrary.
You say "Cortez was a pig a brute and he destroyed a world center with
disease and barbaric brutality". It's OK for me if you think so (as do many
americans whose source of information is the novel Aztec). It must be
relevant to you to see him this way. As I said, for me he is a great man,
one of the figures that you need to know to fully understand Renaissance,
and excellent example of what a warrior had to be in his time. From my point
of view, considering his lights and shadows, he is an authentic hero.
Salvador

> Salvador,
>
> I would never suggest to you that I know more about where you live than
you
> do, however, just as Chris and Keith propose some disturbing scenarios
about
> the US with little actual experience here I would say the same about the
> Aztecs.   Decadent is not a term I would describe for a group so young in
> their society.
>
> Huitchilopochtli was an adolescent God not a decadent one.   His was the
God