On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 11:59:10PM +1000, Scott Smedley wrote:
> > > GPLv3. I think we can go ahead with this now.
[snip]

> > It's a lot of work and many many files have
> > to be touched.
>
> Really?

Every file that has a copyright statement needs to be touched.

> > I'm not going to release fvwm with a big fat "FIXME"
>
> I didn't realise Viktor had already made a change to install the new
> man page. The "old" man page is still around.

I don't know which one is installed, but the new one is broken and
the old one is not up to date.

> VG: any reason for installing the new man page & still building the old one?
>
> > and a broken
> > paragraph in the man page.
>
> Huh? Please elaborate so I can fix.

This one:

  ENVIRONMENT
        FIXME
        tab(:); ctB ltB.  T{ Environment Variable T}:T{ Description T} lt lt lt
        lt lt lt lt lt lt lt lt lt.  T{ DISPLAY T}:T{ Fvwm starts on this
        display unless the -display option is given.  T} T{ FVWM_MODULEDIR
        T}:T{ Set by fvwm to the directory containing the standard fvwm
        modules.  T} T{ FVWM_USERDIR T}:T{ Used to determine the userŽs data

Just found another one below the --color-limit option:

        allbox tab(:); lB lB lB.  T{   T}:T{ depth 8 (256 colors) T}:T{
        depth 4 (16 colors) T} l l l l l l l l l.  T{ PseudoColor T}:T{ 68
        (4 cc + 4 grey) T}:T{ 10 (2 cc + 2 grey) T} T{ GrayScale T}:T{ 64
        regular grey T}:T{ 8 regular grey T} T{ DirectColor T}:T{ 32 (3 cc
        + 5 grey) T}:T{ 10 (2 cc + 2 grey) T}

And mor if you search for the pattern T}.  And there seems to be a
problem with certain quotes:

        A prefix of ŽcŽ is equivalent to "o50".  Examples:
                   ^^^^^

> > > It is run manually (usually be me) anytime a new command is documented.
> > > So, no need to worry about Perl dependencies.
> >
> > 1) I think this is not acceptable.  It's too difficult to add new
> >    commands right now.
>
> Difficult to document new commands? I disagree.

You have to touch a lot of files to make the new command known
everywhere.  I have already reduced the number of files and want
toi bring it down to 0.  Just add the new xml file and have
everything else done automatically.

> >    I'm working on a solution to have just
> >    functable.c as a source for the commands list and to eliminate
> >    all other tables.  The script must be run automatically when
> >    I'm done (and there is no real reason to require running it
> >    manually).
>
> If you want to automate something that happens rarely enough that I don't
> mind manually updating the HTML - fine.
>
> Please make sure the new script produces the same HTML output.

There are two issues with the current HTML output:

 * The source file for the big command list has lines that contain
   some a separator "--".  This will be hard to do automatically.
 * The logical grouping of commands can not be done without
   knowing the semantics of the commands.

> > > DV: As you have a much better grasp of the build system than I, is this
> > >     something you might like to tackle? If not, some implementation
> > >     advice would be very helpful.
> >
> > Yes, I'm planning to do this, but it's not necessary for this
> > release.  Let's not do too many things at the same time.
>
> Ok.
>
> A couple of other related questions:
>
> >        * footer.html.in:
> >        write fvwm in lower case
>
> Why?

Because fvwm's name is fvwm, not FVWM.  I'll change that in other
places soon.

> >        * commands/Makefile.am:
> >        * fvwm/Makefile.am:
> >        * images/Makefile.am:
> >        remove CVS Id Tags
>
> Why?

Because they just cause unnecessary diffs when comparing versions.
If you want to know which version you have you can always type

  $ cvs status foo.c

or look at the information stored in CVS/Entries.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, dominik.vogt (at) gmx.de