I think it would be great if fvwm could apply as a mentoring organization in this year's GSOC. I would be interested in working as a student on fvwm if anyone has the time to mentor me. This will most likely be the last summer I'll be eligible to participate as a student, and I'd really like to work with fvwm full time this summer.

There are several items that can be added to an ideas list for fvwm. Here are just a few ideas from the top of my head. Some need refinement, and some are probably not good at all.

* style/state rewrite
  - unify the syntax for styles and states of windows, and make all states
    matchable with conditionals

* fine grained style matching.
  - continue the work on the CVS branch with contaiing stlye matching by
    reasource, class or name specified.

* help finalizing fvwm 2.6
  - write a fvwm-convert-2.6 script
  - update test cases
  - fix bugs

* add support for RANDR

* add support for some other XExtention/library

* move advanced decorations to a module
  - add a style DecoratedByModule
  - change to module interface to allow window decorations to be handled
    by a module (Should be able to have more than one decor module
    running, so there must be a way to control which windows are
    decorated by which module.)
  - move the deprecated decor stuff to a separate module

I think that the primary focus should be on 2.6, but it does not hurt to to have some ideas for post 2.6 in there as well. I'm most interested in working on the two first points on the list, but would like to see 2.6 released this year, and there are still several things things to do.

/Viktor