It is long to reply to the whole Manoj message, so I will try to
summarize and to get directly to the point.

There are very strong reasons in my eyes to leave the deb generation
procedure (the same reasons are valid for rpm), because this procedure:

  * is very useful, just run "make deb-..." and get a deb file
  * works for a cvs tree, a released tarball or a daily snapshot alike
  * is more functional than the presented alternative
  * does not add any questionable dependences to fvwm
  * may be customized by the user regarding optional built-in features
  * may be customized by the user regarding compiler optimizations
  * is consistent with the installation using normal "make install"
  * follows developers intentions more than specific distro policies
  * does not depend on anyone's schedule to release
  * and so on...

So, since Manoj agrees it is just fine to have both procedures each
achieving its own goal, let's improve the technical interaction.

I would like to get patches that improve our included procedure without
changing its behaviour. If there is a need to get rid of some optional
file or to rename it, this seems fine. Synchronizing some descriptions
or adding a comment about the unofficial build seems fine. As well as
any general improvements.

The patches or conversation about the actual technical details may take
place on this list or if needed with me privately. I don't consider
this an urgent task, since nothing strictly speaking requires the
change. However improving interaction and getting comments from an
experienced packager is a good idea.

Regards,
Mikhael.