On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:23:49AM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> So, here's a list of modules I wish to see deprecated, with reasons why:

I gave my reasons, but I never said how.  Perhaps that's more important to
some (which confuses me, since implementation aside, why the hell would you
care?) so here it is, in-line with my original email.

> * FvwmCommand
> * FvwmConsole
> * FvwmConsoleC.pl
>
> These three are on a list to be removed, but the functionality to replace
> them (notably getting FVWM to listen on a $DISPLAY socket, for instance)
> just isn't there yet.  So whilst I don't plan on deprecating them just yet,
> I'm aware I'll need to at some point.

Oh look, I've already said how.  But for those who missed it:  FvwmConsole
and FvwmCommandS and FvwmConsoleC.pl will be the ones dying, or otherwise
replaced; FvwmCommandS and FvwmConsoleC.pl will die, and FvwmConsole is
nothng more than a wrapper around FvwmCommand or whatever it is eventually
called.  Most likely FvwmCommand so as not to break as many configs as I
can.

> * FvwmCpp
>
> This one has to go -- no one that I've seen in the years I've been using
> FVWM actually has a configuration in CPP anymore.  If they do, they've not
> noticed it's been broken since FVWM 2.3.X, and no one has fixed that.

Redacted, since merging this with FvwmM4 is now the most logical thing to
do, with very little effort, reducing the code and allowing for any other
language potentially to preprocess data if I do this properly.

> * FvwmDragWell
>
> The use-case of this doesn't match any application anymore.
>
> * FvwmIconBox
>
> Replaced with IconBox style option, although not quite the same as having an
> actual window managing icons (c.f. TWM)

This one is really important, and I'm surprised no one has picked up on
this.  There is no direct window anymore to manage icons, but with the style
option of IconBox, you can place groups of icons around on the screen.  I'm
taking this to be all the required functionality from this module as-needed.

> * FvwmSave
> * FvwmSaveDesk
>
> These two are broken, and a very very poor choice of trying to be a session
> manager.  Use a session manager if you can with FVWM.
>
> * FvwmTaskBar
>
> This is a FvwmButtons module swallowing FvwmIconMan.  People wanting mail
> notification can use xbuffy, xbiff, or mail-notification.

Seems I did mention how mail checking would be done; but note that given the
all too dynamic nature of this, I will probably very strongly end up writing
a little FvwmForm to manage various facets of FvwmTaskBar's replacement.

-- Thomas Adam