Harry portobello <harryportobe...@gmail.com> writes:

> hullo,
>
> On 25 October 2011 09:11, Thomas Adam <tho...@fvwm.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 06:54:09PM +0100, Harry portobello wrote:
>>> don't know anything about.  There's no thought gone in to this and
>>> will force users to learn things they didn't need to before. I am also
>>> amazed that mail checking is now left up to the user when it's built
>>> in to FvwmTaskBar already!
>>
>> So your worry isn't so much that you'll have something which looks like
>> FvwmTaskBar, but that you won't be able to check your mail?
>
> not only mail but the hole idea of no longer having a tasbar with
> these small features annoys when users like me are used to that.

I'm sure someone(tm) can come up with an FvwmButtons config that looks
and acts like FvwmTaskBar.

>> That's just tough, I'm afraid.  That mail checker is all but useless with
>> today's email usage; it doesn't do IMAP for example, and even at the time
>> when it was written, tools which provide its equivalent functionality, such
>> as xbiff, xbuffy, etc., very much existed.  They can always be used
>> instead.
>
> But can they? Have you tried this? I've not seen anything to suggest
> they can and how do you do this in a way which won't cripple the
> taskbar without these things present on the machine. Plus this is not
> an integrated taskbar anymore with all the functionality neatly kept
> insider it - its relying on external tools.

I've not seen anything indicating they can't either. Also Fvwm's job is
not to check mail, one could argue that the feature should never have
made it into FvwmTaskBar to start with.

>> Now, if you wanted to put your mail checker where your postoffice is, get me
>> an alternative which is meaningful in terms of its replacement, and I'd
>> consider making such a component dynamically available in its config, should
>> it be present on the system.  I'll be giving myself extra points for using
>> FvwmForm to wrap up the options for control graphically as well.
>
> Why not use the one from fvwmtaskbar? Or just keep fvwmtaskbar?

Because FvwmTaskbar increases the maintenance burden for no added
benefit. It doesn't do anything (except checking mail I guess) that a
combination of other Fvwm modules can't do equally well, if not better.

Regards,

Bert