Harry portobello <harryportobe...@gmail.com> writes:

> hi dan,
>
> On 27 October 2011 16:53,  <des...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Harry portobello <harryportobe...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> hullo,

>>> But it is hard - how to do it between revisions? Or know which branch
>>> to use. Is this documented in fvwms case?
>>
>> No it is _not_ hard.
>> Apparently you don't know how CVS works.
>
> you are right - i have not used cvs in the past. is there a good guide
> for a good way to use it?

Plenty of online documentation for CVS.

>> Check out the Developer section of the Fvwm (fvwm) web site.
>> All the basics for setting up and using CVS are there.
>> Anyone can do read only access.
>
> i will try this but the Developer section does not list how to use cvs
> in an effective way - and the docs are difficult to piece to gether

Somehow we all figured out how to use CVS with the documentation
online.  Either at the  Fvwm site or other online CVS docs.

>> There is only one branch active and you can do diffs by date so
>> you can easily see all changes from one day ago or one week ago.
>
> which branch?

Don't worry about branches, the only active branch is the current main
branch.

>>> Yes - but im saying it should never be put in to cvs to start with  -
>>> and you wouldnt need to do this if things were looked over first.
>>
>> Sorry, but you are just wrong.
>> It goes into CVS, we all see the changes, anyone can back out a change.
>> Submitting a change to the list as a diff is just extra work.
>
> so lets say i want to see the change in cvs from last week - how do i do that?

After you've followed the instructions at the fvwm web site for checking
out a copy of the source, use this command to get diffs for the last week.

cvs diff -D 10/20/2011

>>> So how do you make sure theres consistency with features behaving as
>>> they should and do to change? Weve already seen how bad this can be
>>> with....... i think its titleformat not showing any number between
>>> brackets if theres only one of them on the screen. to me this is a bad
>>> thing - and should have been caught when it was tested. and then were
>>> told that its a feature?!
>>
>> You are making up imaginary problems.
>
> no - i remember this -
> http://www.mail-archive.com/fvwm@fvwm.org/msg01900.html - you can not
> say this is imagined. i'd like the old behavior to return - and if
> this patch had review it would have been spotted.

Not interested in looking.  Oh, okay the %t.  Still not interested.

>>> but do it very carefuly, and with fvwm operating the way it does right
>>> now, this is going to make jobs of reviewerrs harder - twice as hard -
>>> as if things changed now so that no commits hapens direct to fvwm
>>> without review first.
>>
>> Nope.  Wrong.
>
> how is this wrong?

Just showed you how to pull a diff.

I'm now in Tom's camp.  Not interested in beating a dead horse.

--
Dan Espen