On mar. 17/09/13 01:41 , Thomas Funk <t.f...@web.de> wrote:

> michel dominique wote:

> >> The xfce menu is the wrong one you've started with. It is too
> >> specific. You have to use an applications.menu. It is more unique.
> >
> > I started from xfce applications menu. It is an xdg application menu,
> > and as such, it is able to show any applications that have desktop
> > files in /usr/share/applications.
>
> Right, but if you haven't installed Xfce no .directory files exist like
> xfce-education.directory

It is why I change them to fvwm-*.directory. But I am doing one at a time
and test it. XML is so easily confused by typos.

> >> The other problem with your menu is that you have .desktop entries.
> >> A unique menu should work without them.
> >
> > These .desktop files in /usr/share/desktop-directories are hare only
> > for automatic translations of the category's names and comments.
> > The menu work fine without them, exactly like yours, but will be in
> > English only.
>
> Most distributions have the main categories as .directory files in
> /usr/share/desktop-directories so it is meaningless to create
> fvwm- directory entries. Use the xdg defaults. Then you have
> translation per default.

I am on Debian for now, and the only one I have are the xfce* files.
I choose xfce at the beginning of the installation. So, I think the
best think to do in order to be sure it will work in any cases,
is to provide them.

> >> Attached is my first test menu based on Ubuntus applications.menu
> >> with some parts from openSuse. I have to test it on other
> >> distributions but on Debian it works fine. Should work on Fedora,
> >> too because their applications.menu is similar.
> >
> > Thank you, it is interesting.
>
> Your welcome :-)
>
> A bare application menu is attached. This was the base of my test
> menu. It includes only the main categories. Perhaps this could
> be the best start. Fedora have the same but with some Fedora
> specific entries.

It is late. I will take a look another day.

> > Applications place their desktop files into
> > /usr/share/applications. If these desktop files are compliant, all
> > will be fine on any distribution. If they are not, this only mean
> > these desktop files are buggy because they are not non-compliant.
> > In gentoo, portage issue warnings about these buggy desktop files.
> >
> >> But Mageia/Mandriva for example has own directory named files
> >> besides of the xdg specification, so there is much work to support
> >> such distributions.
> >
> > For me, this is their problem. The xdg specification exist for one
> > good reason, to standardize menus. If some xyz distribution make non
> > standard extensions to that norm, it is not my problem if they like
> > to make extra work. I will not do it for them, but will accept
> > patches.
>
> Hmmm ... I don't think, that users accept a menu which has no entries
> in it because the distribution they use doesn't use the xdg standard.
> I will test it if these extra directory entries needed or not.

At that point...

> >> fvwm-menu-desktop supports icons by default.
> >
> > I talk about categories icons here, not apps icons.
> > Do you mean the Icon keys in the /usr/share/desktop-directories
> > desktop files, because it is in these files the categories icons are
> > specified, or icons in fvwm ImagePath?
>
> No, fvwm-menu-desktop (from CVS) uses for top menu names the
> 'gnome-fs-directory' icon and for unknown application
> 'gnome-applications'. Also it gets the icons in the directory files if
> available. if not it uses the folder icon. The choice of gnome icons
> is not the best but if you know some others which are available on
> each system, tell it to me.

The Tango theme is very popular. Also, in wm-icons, it is some icons
that can be used for the extra categories, but they will not mix very well
with the gnome or tango themes.

I don't think any single theme will provide icons for all the possible
additional categories. But I didn't looked at it for now. I think the
best would be to provide these icons.

Also, it is the Ken's Lester icon themes which are very nice and very
popular on the Amiga OS, but GNU/Linux have a very poor support
of dual-png pictures. It is possible to extract the individual pictures.
Ken gave me the permission to use them under the GPL.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-850702.html
http://www.five-star.com/icons.htm

Thanks to fvwm-button, It is a few of them into fvwm-crystal:
http://fvwm-crystal.sourceforge.net/screenshots/desktop-manager.png
They also mix well with the Tango theme. I added some of them,
but with only one picture, in the menus.

Cheers,
Domique