Hi:

my issue seems similar to the one presented here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/fvwm-workers@fvwm.org/msg03376.html
but with maple.

In most cases opening and using maple works fine, but with some worksheets,
in particular those that may contain many plots, fvwm "freezes" when maple
is loading. The fvwm process runs at 100% on a single core. Maple is
actually usable, that is I can type in it and letters show up, but the
mouse is not, and I am not able to control other clients. In order to make
fvwm usable again, I have to kill all the maple processes (java, mserver).
Then, usually after a minute or more, fvwm is responsive again.

I am on ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, and this behavior is consistent across 3
different machines.

I've checked 2.6.5 and the cvs versions of fvwm and observe the same
problem. I have also tried countless combinations of possible Style
settings from "Lenient" to various focus policies.

Attaching to the fvwm process with a debugger it would seem that fvwm is
just stuck in the main loop, and waiting for x events when this happens.

I should note that things work fine with (for example) gnome, but as the
maple worksheet is loading, for a couple of seconds the window manager also
"stops" (meaning one can't for example move another window), but comes back
right after the document has loaded.

Now, I get that this is an issue with java, but realistically the chances
that this will get sorted out by maplesoft in any active way is zero (I am
a participant in their beta program). I really mean ZERO - it's not going
to happen.

So my question would be if anyone would have an idea how one would overcome
something like this (i.e. do whatever it is that say gnome is doing in
order to not let a java process put it in a funny state). I realize it
would be a dirty hack, and would maybe break protocol, but quite frankly
the only other solution for me is not using fvwm at all.

I don't know the code base well yet, but would be happy to  play with
things to try to get this sorted out. So if anyone has any ideas, it would
be appreciated. The more detailed the better...(i.e if you know what
files/code would be involved, and what would have to be changed, that would
be very helpful).

thanks!