On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 07:47:03PM +0700, Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov wrote:

> >     > Technicaly it isn't possible -- X server wouldn't generate
> > > "EnterScreenNotify" events, since Xinerama screens look like a single
> > > large screen.
> >
> > But it would certainly be a useful addition to the Xinerama extension to
> > send "EnterXineramaHead" and LeaveXineramaHead events  - IIRC X
> > extensions can introduce new events.  If these events contain the a
> > head number, interested applications can then easily maintain information
> > about the set of heads the pointer is in (even for the pathological case
> > of overlapping heads).
>
>       Well, this *can* be a useful addition if we find a real case when
> it is needed.  Than we can try to persuade Mark Vojkovich to add this
> functionality to X (BTW, what is interesting -- he also uses fvwm).  But
> there must be some real, hard arguments, otherwise this definitely
> wouldn't pass the X Xinerama group.

Well,

Some users may want to have an application which is always on the
current screen. Typically, if I get a double head I would like to
have my FvwmPager and my WLM (TaskBar, WinList, IconMan or IconBox)
always in the current screen. The solution is to run two such modules
(it is the reason I added aliases support in TaskBar, WinList and
IconBox recently). But a solution which seems better is that the
application "follows the pointer". Moreover, for some applications,
running as many sticky copies of an application than screens will be
not a solution to get it always on the current screen: for example
with an xterm we lost the "historic".

So I think that an EnterScreenNotify event will be a good thing for
a window manager: it will be able to manage a new/strong sticky mode
for any applications.

Olivier