On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 09:37:50PM +0700, Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
>
> > Well,
> >
> > Some users may want to have an application which is always on the
> > current screen. Typically, if I get a double head I would like to
> > have my FvwmPager and my WLM (TaskBar, WinList, IconMan or IconBox)
> > always in the current screen. The solution is to run two such modules
> > (it is the reason I added aliases support in TaskBar, WinList and
> > IconBox recently). But a solution which seems better is that the
> > application "follows the pointer". Moreover, for some applications,
> > running as many sticky copies of an application than screens will be
> > not a solution to get it always on the current screen: for example
> > with an xterm we lost the "historic".
> >
> > So I think that an EnterScreenNotify event will be a good thing for
> > a window manager: it will be able to manage a new/strong sticky mode
> > for any applications.
>
>       Well, that sounds very reasonable (now I understand my mistake --
> I was thinking about something similar to FvwmBacker, but for Xinerama
> screens, which is a nonsense ;-).
>
>       We have an option to add such functionality right now, but with
> fvwm tracking screens itself (this is needed anyway for emulated
> Xinerama), and later check for real "EnterScreenNotify" availability in
> configure script.

I don't think this can be solved inside fvwm to our satisfaction.
Polling the mouse pointer wastes lots of CPU and tracking the
pointer via MotionNotify events does not work when the pointer is
grabbed.

>       IMHO currently the best way to go is collecting various reasons
> for such an event, and later discuss it with X people.  Looking at Xserver
> and libXinerama sources, I can easily work out a patch for this thingie
> (the server internally has a "ChangeScreen" event, since it has to move
> cursor between screens).

That would be the right place to implement this functionality.

Dominik Vogt, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20