On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 10:20:24AM -0500, larry gensch wrote:
> Dominick recently wrote:
>
> > Wrapping up the answers to several posts:
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 09:26:45AM +0100, Uwe Pross wrote:
> > > Good morning Fvwm Workers,
> > >
> > > How about making a statement on the fvwm web site instead
> > > of a new license?
> >
> > Strictly speaking, it is no more than a statement, not a license.
> > I call it a license and put it in the sources in order to force
> > Linux distributors to mention it.  I do not want that it can be
> > completely ignored.  And I will not tinker with the "license"
> > until no more than drivel remains.
>
> But why call it a license in the first place?

For psychological reasons.  Statement are generally ignored by
people who do not agree with them from the start.

> I don't have any problem with people reacting to controversial events,
> or even them making their feelings known, whether or not I agree with
> them.

> If this is no more than a statement, as you claim, then you should
> call it an ETHICAL_STATMENT (or DOMINICKS_ETHICAL_STATEMENT if you
> wish to split hairs) and declare that you hope that fvwm isn't used to

Oh well, this is a big misunderstanding.  I do not *hope* that my
work is not misused.  Actually I *know* that it is misused.  I
*demand* that is is not.  I do not plan to make it a legal issue,
but an ethical one.  With the whole statement I do not want to
express that I am sorry that wars (etc.) happen, but demand that
my work is not used to make them happen.  Everything less would
only be a parody of my motives.

> further agendas that you disagree with, such as warmaking, terrorism,
> and other things that are Not Healthy For Children And Other Living
> Things.  Whether or not it is ignored is immaterial.

> By calling what you've written a license will make Linux distributors
> want to shy away from fvwm.  RedHat has already dropped fvwm from its
> distribution (for other reasons, I should point out), and I know for a
> fact that Debian will not distribute anything that appears to attempt
> to dilute the GPL.  Are we looking to be dropped by everybody?  If
> this is your desire, then your message will not be seen by anybody!

Anyone who cares to read the statement should be able to verify
that it is not a legal license within two minutes.  If that is not
enough - tough luck.

> In addition, I have seen at least one response to your "license" from
> a developer that claims that he supports the current conflict.  That
> developer should have as much right as you to add his own language to
> that statement, or provide his own separate statement as a matter of
> ballance.

And I do not deny this right.  Everybody is welcome to do so, and
I will not lift a finger to prevent that.  I can live perfectly
well with different opinions.  But I have and claim the right to
state my opinion about using the work I created in hundreds of
hours of voluntary work, even in a way that some people find
annoying.

> Dominick, I feel your pain, and even share your frustration at recent
> events, but I really feel that what you are doing is not good for
> fvwm, nor is it good for the fvwm community.

Did I ever say or even suggest that the statement is intended to
be good for fvwm?  When human lives are at risk, how can I
seriously consider by how many people a mere set of bits and bytes
is used?

> I seriously urge you to reconsider your actions.

I have reconsidered them a lot, and I listen to all of the
criticism.  I have removed all strict requirements from what I had
in mind at first.  What remains can be ignored, without any legal
impact.  But I will *not* make it easy to ignore.  The statement
is not intended as some general bla bla which everybody can agree
to without even thinking about it.