Hi Mikhael & Dominik, :)

Dominik says:

: > The default config for FVWM is (IMO) yuk!
: You obviously never took a look at sample.fvwmrc/system.fvwm2rc

Perhaps my definition of "default config" is wrong. To me, this is
an example .fvwm2rc file that users have to explicitly copy to
~/.fvwm/config or wherever. (Incidentally, this file does not appear
to be installed with "make install".)

I was more interested in the look & usability of FVWM when no
~/.fvwm2rc, ~/.fvwm/config, etc file is found.

: 1. It has to support black/white displays.

Surely we can get around this with PipeRead & xdpyinfo, or (even better)
FVWM probably knows when it's running on a monochrome display.

: 2. I am highly reluctant to add new mouse or key bindings.

see next point.

Mikhael says:

: I see some problems with your specific suggestion. The more bindings you
: define (especially uncommon ones) the more users should undo in their
: configs.

What if we made FVWM "Read" a default config file iff no config file is
found in the usual places? Maybe we should make it read system.fvwm2rc?

: The colors are sharp, they are not very pleasant for a long work, so I
: see no real improvements in this area.

I'm not married to any of the aesthetics - just anything other than
grey & black! :)

: You use 3 titlebar buttons on the right without redefining their look.
: It is very bad that a button looking like Maximize does Close.

Good point.

: I have no final opinion yet. But if you absolutelly want to have a new
: default look and feel, then I suggest to borrow it from the default theme
: of the current fvwm-themes cvs.

Ah! Good idea!

I guess I'm trying to guard against this situation:

Newbie tries FVWM for the first time. Starts it up. "YUK!". (never
uses FVWM again)

Maybe it doesn't happen as much as I think it does.

Still, my hypothetical newbie gets a vastly different experience when
trying fvwm-themes, KDE, Gnome, etc for the first time.

SCoTT. :)