(I'm moving this discussion to fvwm-workers, where it belongs).

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:08:24AM +1000, Scott Smedley wrote:
> Hi Dominik, :)
>
> Thanks for testing out FvwmButtons.
>
> > There was a crash when the pointer enters unused button space,
> > i.e. slots that are not allocated to any button.  I have fixed
> > this, but there may be similar bugs in other parts of
> > FvwmButtons.
>
> I've got quite a few minor fixes in my own tree, & I've rearranged
> the code a bit to make it a bit neater - I'll need to merge & checkin
> soon.
>
> >  4 When the pointer is on a container or a swallowed application,
> >    the border of that container is hilighted.  I think only
> >    buttons that actually have an action bound to them should be
> >    hilighted (maybe this should be configurable).
>
> I think an option is best. Any suggestions for a name?

There might be two settings, a global one and a button specific
one:

  *FvwmButtons: UseActiveColorset Always|Never|ActionButtons

where

  Always:

    For all buttons

  ActionButtons (default)

    For all buttons that have an action bound to them (including
    panel buttons)

  Never

    Turn off completely.

And an option

  UseActiveColorset / !UseActiveColorset

that enables or disables the feature for each button individually,
overriding the global settings.

> >  5 I'm not sure "Hover" is a good name.  I associate all kinds of
> >    things with "hovering", but definitely not the current
> >    behaviour.  In the menu code we use "Active" for that purpose.
>
> Good idea.
>
> One noticable difference I've made is to draw the button using
> Press{Colorset,Icon,Title} when a button has been clicked & instructed
> to wait for a window to popup. (the former behaviour was just to make
> the button relief sunken.) I think this is intuitive, but would
> appreciate other opinions.

Ciao