On Thu, 22 May 2008, Chris G wrote:

I've never quite made my mind up whether to use several Desktops or several Pages on one desktop, what are the reasons (if any) for choosing one or the other?

Mah, I originally developed my arrangement (when I moved into fvwm from a single desktop single page motif :-)) with the idea to have :

 - one desktop with 4 pages for "work"
 - another desktop for "network". Originally it had one page for the
   browser, one page for e-mail, another page for a VNC connection to
   another machine, and a spare page. Now the VNC is gone and I end up
   using the two spare as extra work areas (sometime I put pdf documents
   in the one next to the e-mail page)

I've never found any use for running a program with a window larger
than my screen size,

No, although sometimes I'd like to have two physical screens :-)

I rarely (but very occasionally) would like to drag a window from one place to another.

Personally I like the little pager in the corner to swap pages/desktops, and occasionally to drag windows. I hate KDE-type control panels, so I have just the pager and a clock, and do all the rest via root menus.

I defined accelerator keys to move across pages/ desktops and ended in not using them at all. I even forgot what they are (the rare case I needed is doing presentations with a full screen pdf or ppt (*) on one page and a web browser on another).

(*) prefer a latex generated "beamer" pdf :-)

I define window menus to move a window to a target desktop and page and use them very seldom (may be because I always forget whether my 2x2 pages are numbered [1,2][3,4] or [1,3][2,4] :-))

In general when I need to move a window from a page/desk to another, I end up as follows : use the window menu to make it sticky, change page/desk and make it unsticky. Or leave it sticky if I need to go to and fro many times.

I guess the good of fvmw is that allows many different working styles to be achieved easily and in a light way.

Do not blame ME, I did NOT vote Berlusconi.