On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 08:36:58PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:

>>  The only thing I missed was the ability to have a 3x3 grid of pages and
>>  move between them with vi like keys (e.g. Win+h/j/k/l). A little
>>  scripting with FvwmPerl makes this easy...
>
> Why FvwmPerl?  This why Goto{Page,Desk} exists.

The problem is that GotoDesk treats the desktops as in a line. I can
happily navigate through them as though they were in a line. However I
can't (natively) put them on a 3 by 3 grid and move up down left or
right, like I used to do with pages. (Or at least I don't know how to do
this natively).

Enter FvwmPerl: Super quick fix --

    DestroyFunc WrapDesktopCmd
    AddToFunc   WrapDesktopCmd
    + I SendToModule perlwops preprocess -c $0 0 \
        %{ ( int($[desk.n] / 3 ) + $2 ) % 3 * 3 + ($[desk.n] + $1) % 3 }%

after which I could replace all commands of the form

    GotoPage wrapx -1p  0p

with

    WrapDesktopCmd GotoDesk -1 0

GI

PS: (Pro Fvwm rant.)

    On any other WM I would have to bug the developers saying "Hey. I
    know the rest of the world puts desktops on a line, and pages on the
    grid. But I REALLY want my desktops on a grid, and couldn't give two
    hoots about pages. Can you please add a few options to put desktops
    on a grid".

    This is typically followed by a flame war on the mailing list, and
    an inconclusive three months later, you're back to where you
    started.

    Not for Fvwm! 10 minutes of RTFM and you have what you want.

--
'Consultant' -- Someone who uses your wife's watch, tells you the time,
and then charges you for it.