On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 07:18:20PM +0200, Bert Geens wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Thomas Adam <tho...@fvwm.org> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > This has been a while coming since 2.6.0 was released.  But I said at the
> > time that since there was no longer ever going to be a split between
> > stable/unstable, and that there was only ever rolling-stable releases, that
> > there was now never any right time to make changes which have an impact.
> >
> > This is one of them.
> >
> > Currently, FVWM ships with a number of modules.  Some of them are used a lot
> > in peoples' configs (such as FvwmButtons, FvwmEvent, etc.) and others are
> > not so much used -- and indeed some of them have just bitrot.
> > Unsurprisingly, that's due to confusion as to the need of the module, and in
> > some cases the language the module is supporting, because it's no longer the
> > "coolest" language to use, or has been pushed back because of another module
> > giving functionality.
> >
> > So, here's a list of modules I wish to see deprecated, with reasons why:
> >
> > * FvwmCommand
> > * FvwmConsole
> >
> > These three are on a list to be removed, but the functionality to replace
> > them (notably getting FVWM to listen on a $DISPLAY socket, for instance)
> > just isn't there yet.  So whilst I don't plan on deprecating them just yet,
> > I'm aware I'll need to at some point.
> >

> These two are the only ones on the list I really care about, I use
> FvwmCommand in my Emacs mode to just execute parts of my config
> without having to copy/paste to FvwmConsole. But a more direct means
> to access Fvwm without having to keep the terminal's shortcomings
> (thinking mainly about maximum command length here) in mind would be
> even more welcome.
>
> Either way, just a heads up to make sure FvwmCommand isn't brushed
> aside as being unused :)

They are just being flagged as future depricated. The goal is to allow FVWM to
listen on a socket for commands in which can be sent from consoles, scripts,
etc. Once this new behavior is added to FVWM, they will be depericated as their
functionality will be done though the socket.

Both FvwmComand and FvwmConsole are used a lot, so the goal is to replace them
with a more verstile tool. They won't be removed until this tool is functional,
been tested in many situations and people have had plenty of time to change
their configs.

jaimos