> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:41:03 +0100 (CET)
> Von: "Thomas Funk" <t.f...@web.de>
> An: "Michael Großer" <michael.gros...@gmx.de>, fvwm@fvwm.org
> Betreff: Aw: Re: FVWM: Why is Debian behind schedule regarding recent FVWM
>versions so much?
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> > My decision is for sure now that I will show my readers a way
> > how to download a current FVWM version, compile it and install
> > it on Debian systems.
>
> You can build a Debian package very easily with the following commands:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr && make deb-inplace
> This is implemented in Fvwm since ages (thanks to Thomas for that hint ;)
> )
>
> Thomas
> --
> What is the exact difference between a 'terminal', a 'shell', a 'tty' and
> 'console'?
> A terminal is at the end of an electric wire, a shell is the home of a
> turtle, tty is a strange abbreviation and a console is a kind of cabinet.
>
> --   Gilles

Hm.
I remember when I did it last time that it was a loooonnnnggggg
odyssey finding out which libraries were needed, finding
the libraries, finding other libraries from which the libraries
depend and so on. For newbies, this was definitely not an
acceptable way. The reason why I write and publish my own howtos
is exactly this: The experts throw one-liners like
"./configure --prefix=/usr && make deb-inplace" around and say
how easy all is, and then you sit there and nothing works,
because the experts forgot to say that there are concepts
like "dependencies".

Thank you for your hint. I will test this line next time:
./configure --prefix=/usr && make deb-inplace

But even if this one line will work, I will have to document
it, because some kind of knowledge is not easy to find
in the Internet.

Michael

--
michael.gros...@gmx.de