On Fri, 24 Jun 2016, lee wrote:
Lucio Chiappetti <lu...@lambrate.inaf.it> writes:

Is there a difference between having N desktops and having N pages which
matters for practical use?

well ... a desk has a name/title, a page has not ... and one uses GoToDesk and GotoPage ... do not think there are other practical differences in the way I use them ...

... or perhaps, one can think of a desk with no page as something of the size of your screen, stacked behind your screen along z. While pages can be thought of extensions off screen along x and y (right/left, top/bottom), could be useful in rare cases one wants to extend one window off screen (one can even scroll fraction of pages if I remember).

I have the pager always covered up by some window.  It just takes away
so much screen space that it's only visible on empty, or almost empty,
desks.

So you actually see the root window :)

Yes, I almost never use applications in full screen (perhaps an acrobat slide show), even the browser keeps to a sort of squarish shape leaving free an area on the right where the pager is. My screen is 1920x1080 and the browser is some sort of 1600x1024.

So I usually don't see the root window or a pager window but the windows
I'm actually using.

What if you basically never saw the pager?  Would you get confused?

I guess so, but I keep the pager Sticky, StaysOnTop, so other windows never obscure it,

I have such a family of widgets in the top right corner of my screen. From top I have:

- a couple of buttons to call on and off a taskbar (see below)
- calendar date and xdaliclock
- buttons to change desk to 1, 2x1 1x2 and 2x2 pages
- status indicator of main hosts on my LAN
- button to call pager on/off
- button to call procmeter on/off
- pager
- procmeter

usually the pager obscures the procmeter button and the top of the procmeter (temperature, processes, load, paging) so I just see things like mail in inbox, ethernet traffic, CPU % below the pager.

But I can withdraw them (do it rarely, sometimes I iconify a number of terminals and edits, and the icons (anchored bottom right) hide under the procmeter or pager).

By habit I sometimes/often iconify stuff, but almost never shade stuff (shade is however a NICE fvwm feature, a shaded window is reduced to its title bar)

In the rare case I forgot what is where (e.g. for the xclipboard, or
because the window is hidden), I use MB2 bound to FvwmWinList, which
lists all my windows by title, so I can switch there easily,

That's like a last resort for me.  The list can get so long that it's
not easy to find what I'm looking for in it.

My list is not terribly long. Usually I know where is what by habit, excepts for things like xclipboard, of which there can be a single instance. That's the thing I usually look via FvwmWinList.

There can be windows hidden behind other (like a small popup from an alarm). For these I use a taskbar I can call on demand, which shows the windows in the current desktop by title.

Do not like Firefox >=29 ?  Get Pale Moon !  http://www.palemoon.org