Hi Matthew,

I'm not even sure what to argue for given we only have PHP5 now ;). I do know
IRI's are gaining popularity across Asia and Europe, and that the current
Zend_Uri class is incapable of validating an IRI. So my feeling would be to
call Zend_Uri incomplete, rather than a class which is stable and can be safely
optimised - which is partly why one would use parse_url(). It borders on
premature optimisation unless you want an ASCII only class.

At the end, if IRI support is a goal, which it should be in some form (noting
it's very difficult in reality since the character ranges differ per root -
something for the Locale team I think - so IRI support would be very helpful)
then switching to parse_url() doesn't offer anything advantageous. At least
using PCRE allows the possibility of matching  against a range of Unicode
characters - obviously PHP6 would be cool but it's not here and for IRI support
I doubt we can wait for it. Otherwise what will all those Belgian users do when
they realise all those ZF applications are refusing to accept their website
addresses? Not to mention everyone else capable of registering IRIs and who
doesn't write exclusively in ASCII characters...

Best regards,
Pádraic

Pádraic Brady
http://blog.astrumfutura.com