Ralf,

There are a couple of other things to try:
a) Put the files in /dev/shm (assuming you have enough memory).  Since it's
located in memory which is a lot faster than disk this will reduce your
delete time
b) When you need to delete all cache simply rename the old directory and
re-create the original one and then delete the new-renamed direcotory.  This
isa hack but if everything else fails this will solve....