There's arguments on both sides of the fence on this one. I personally like
having organization in my code, which is why I like the multi-file method
and we can just use APC to speed up code execution. However, not everybody
has that option, which runs into a problem. On top of that, you start
relying on your cache, not your code efficiency, for speedy code which, imo,
is very, very bad.

Now, as far as Zend_Loader, don't use it. It completely negates the ability
to use APC. Zend_Loader allows dynamic loading of classes which just happens
to prevent APC's ability to determine which files should be cached. Always
use require/include for your classes, that way you can use APC and its
features. Zend_Loader is convenient, but it's not worth the overhead it
gives. The only situations I use Zend_Loader is during factor class
creations. That's it.

I like the compile() method you pointed out, Lukasz, but I'm not quite
completely sold on it yet. I can see the benefits, but there are questions
to ask on both sides of that, too

Philip